Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cleaning up the Mess. And There's a Lot of Mess.

Aberleigh-

I sat at my desk staring at a blank screen. How do you sum up 10 years that ended in a just a few simple words, that won't have the speaker collapsing in tears? But this was my job. As a PR rep, this is what I did. I helped clean up the messes that others get themselves into.

"Abbs are you coming for lunch?" I looked up from my screen to see my bestfriend and coworker Danielle leaning halfway into my office.

"Thanks, Dani, but I have to get this done. Maybe tomorrow?" She shrugged knowing as well as I did that I wouldn't go out tomorrow either. "How about a drink tonight?" We smiled together and agreed to meet for drinks directly after work.

My sight went back to my screen as I tried to write again. Finally I started typing. The one released strictly from the team was easy. Impersonal.

The Penguins Association asks the media and fans to please respect the privacy of Marc-Andre Fleury as he goes through this personal struggle. Thank you.

I pondered the need for a personal statement by Marc-Andre. People were peering into his life, that's not right. I mean, if I broke up with my boyfriend of 10 years I'd just want to be left alone. I jumped slightly at a loud knock on my door.

"Oh, Mr. Lemieux I didn't see you there!" I exclaimed trying to quickly straighten up my desk so it looked some what presentable.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Micheals. I know you're busy. I just wanted to see how the press release was coming. Short and sweet, right?"

"One sentence, Mr. Lemieux. Just asking for privacy." He nodded in approval, causing me to smile slightly.

"Excellent. Have it sent to Ray and call in the vultures for 5 this evening." I nodded and picked up my phone to do just as he asked. Looks like drinks were going to be late this evening. "Mr. Lemieux," he stopped pausing almost looking curious as to what I could say. "I don't think we should require Marc to make a statement. I'm sure this is hard enough already. Perhaps just presence would suffice?"

"Of course. I have some of the guys going to get him as we speak." He nodded turning and leaving the room.

A few hours later and I was just gathering up my papers for the end of the day and to get ready for the press conference in half an hour. I turned to check my email and saw an urgent "DEAL WITH ME" email just popped up. I swiftly opened it and groaned as I saw that Max Talbot and Evgeni Malkin had gotten into an altercation with... What?? MMA fighters? Oh shit... It was going to be a long night.I whipped out my phone and swiftly dialed Dani's number. Ugh voice mail!

"Danielle, it's me. I'm going to have to postpone drinks. I've got a major problem to deal with. Call me later." I sighed ignoring my stomach growling as I left my office for the press conference, knowing full well I'd be back to deal with the rest of this mess.

1 comment:

  1. AHAHA!! Talbo and Geno getting into a fight with MMA fighters... abn vworn. I'm trying not to crack up laughing in the office, but this is great. Hilarious. Oh man.

    ReplyDelete