Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Hardest Question

I expected this to be a lot worse, a lot harder. I expected pain, sadness, confusion and anger; but there was none. I watched Vero glide past Abby and I in a white backless gown; arm and arm with her father.
How many times? I wondered to myself as she moved further down the aisle, how many times did I imagine this day? Imagine the day that I would make her my wife; take her home, rock our babies on the same porch that we shared our first kiss on. It was intangible, something that I had spent running over in my head, an uncountable amount of times; but it didn’t matter anymore.
My only regret for this day, was the man at the front of the room; and surprisingly enough, it wasn’t that it was someone other than me. I was past that, ready to move on; but my mind kept wandering over the possibilities that this union had in store for Vero.
I didn’t want her to hurt, and I knew Pierre would hurt her again… she’s an adult, I can’t force her out of anything, I thought sadly as everyone sat back down.

The wedding was beautiful; even if it was a bit large and over the top. There were people that had flown in from all over, something I wasn’t sure I would do at my own wedding, my own wedding… I thought with a smile as I looked over at Abby.
I, unfortunately, wasn’t the only one stealing glances at her. Apparently everyone who was here - even if I had never seen them before - had an idea on who I was. I was sure everyone in this room had turned to look at Abby and I at least once since we arrived.
At the thought I pulled Abby closer to me as my arm wrapped around her shoulder. I planted a kiss on the side of her head as I continued to smile down at her- she looked so beautiful. I could smell the sweet vanilla scent flowing off of her as I began to twirl a piece of her hair around my finger.

"If anyone knows any reason why these two should not be married today; speak now, or forever hold your peace." The words rang out around the church and I stiffed slightly as I felt all the eyes in the room turn towards me.
Aberleigh noticed to, and she timidly turned to me, pain on her face.
She seemed surprised and pleased when she found me still smiling down at her; still twisting her hair around my finger.

I knew everyone was watching for a reaction. A part of me, had alot to say. Manily; what the hell Vero?! You deserve better than this… he’s no good for you… this is only going to end badly so please, please, please stop this.
Another part of me, was sighing at the finality of the words spoken out loud. I would never marry Vero and here I was watching my childhood dreams play out in front of me; a faceless stranger in my place.
But another part, the very best part of me, continued to stare at the beautiful woman next to me.

As if to prove to the world that I was committed; I leaned over and kissed Abby's hair again, resting my cheek on the top of her head as I finally turned my eyes back to the bride at the front.

“By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife; you may now kiss the bride…” The words rang out over the church and were instantly drowned out by cheers and whistles and Pierre went to kiss Vero; something I didn’t have the time to see.
As the man announced the ending of the wedding I tipped Abby’s face up to mine, kissing her passionately; like it was our own private ceremony.


I spun Abby around the dance floor lightly as Amanda Marshall chimed out over the speakers of the Sorel town hall. I pulled her against me, wrapping my arms tightly around her waist as I whispered the words in her ear, changing some the lyrics to my liking;

“So let’s make a toast,
and drink up the wine;
here’s to you lying here next to me,
until the end of time.
Wherever you are,
I want to be,
and anything that means anything to ya,
means everything to me…
so baby if you‘re free,
marry me…”

Abby hugged her arms around my neck tighter, bending me down over her small frame; kissing me gently on the lips. “Abby…” I sighed softly as she pulled away slightly.

“What’s up Casanova?” She grinned as her body sway delicately against mine.

“Do you want to get married?” Her eyes widened in shock as she stared up at me, frightened. “I mean… not now… obviously not right now, but in your future… do you see yourself getting married?”

She looked away and nodded as her eyes roamed around the room. “Yes… I do.” She looked back up at me and gave me a weak smile. “Nothing like this though, small ceremony, small church, just family and friends… you know?” She blushed slightly, like it was embarrassing to want such a small wedding after going through this circus.

“Sounds perfect.” I smiled at her, giving her my honest opinion. “You gonna invite me?” She crinkled her noise and shook her head; squealing as I grabbed onto her sides tickling her.


“Mind if I cut in?” I halted my attack on Abby as I heard Vero come up behind me.

Before I could say anything my dad appeared at me elbow, “Sure… take him! I’ve been trying to dance with this lovely lady all night, but he won’t let her go.” My dad laughed as he grabbed Abby and swung her in a wide circle. I couldn’t help but laugh at the look of sheer terror on her face as Vero fitted herself into my arms.

“We probably should have warned her what a horrible dancer he is…” She giggled quietly as my dad spun Abby around the room.

“I think she knows…” I laughed, smiling down at Vero. She was glowing; looking beautiful and perfect as we began to spin slowly. “He won’t get mad will he…?” I looked up, searching for Pierre through the crowd.

Vero grabbed onto my face with a manicured hand and turned my attention back down to her. “It’s my wedding… I can dance with whomever I want… especially my oldest friend.” I grinned down at her; hoping for her sake that she was right. “So, how are things going with Abby? You seem happy.”

“I am…” I couldn’t help but grin like an idiot as the truth of my answer spread through my body. I was happy, I was the definition of happy.

“That makes this harder then…” I stared down at Vero, what harder? “I need to talk to you about Abby.” I started to shake my head, pulling away from her; whatever game she was starting, I wasn’t playing. “She hardly eats, she exercise an absurd amount. On the days when she does eat, she disappears to the bathroom right after; sometimes she’s so weak she can hardly stand…”

Her words had me freezing in place. “How do you…” I slurred out, panic filling my body. Vero grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door.

Outside in the empty parking lot, Vero spun around on me. “Abby has an eating disorder Marc… she needs help.”

“No…” Oh god…

“Marc think about it… I can tell. She was always small but she’s almost skin and bones now…”

“No…” She’s right.

“Marc look at me.” Vero grabbed onto me, shaking me slightly, tears starting to fall down her face. “You need to get her help… you need to take her to a facility where they can treat her…”

“No!” I spat, pulling my arms away from her. “I can’t… I won’t… she doesn’t… she’s fine!” She had to be fine. Abby was my rock, my safe place, my life; she couldn’t be sick.

“Marc. She could die from this…” I shook my head, allowing Vero to pull me into a hug.

I sobbed gently on her shoulder. “Vero… I need her. She can’t go… I can’t let her… I want to marry her, I need her…”

“I know Marc, I know…” She shushed me gently as she swayed from side to side, trying to sooth the pain that was rocking through my body.

I took a deep breath, taking a step back and wiping the tears off my face. “I’m an idiot… how did I not know-” I sighed deeply, running my hands through my hair. “I don’t know what to do…”

“Hey… there you are!” I took a deep breath as I turned around to face Abby.

I gave her a smile, pulling her against me so she couldn’t see my face. “Hey baby…” I kissed the top of her head; watching Pierre appear in the door, staring at me.

“I’ll see you guys after…” Vero said slowly, walking past us to her new husband, who was still staring at me.

“I love you so much.” I said quietly as I hugged Abby as hard as I could. “I love you so much… please don’t ever leave.” She looked up at me, confused as I brought my lips down to her; feeling my body ignite as she kissed me back.



She was covered in sweat; lying naked on her back, in the hotel bed. I rested on top of her, my chin sitting gently on her stomach. “Are you going to come back up here?” She asked breathlessly as she gently tugged on my shoulders, trying to pull me up to her. I shook my head, my lips moving down to kiss her soft skin as my hands traced up her side.
Maybe it was the fact I had truly realized that Abby had a problem that made me noticed; or maybe I had always noticed but never actually realized what it meant - but Abby’s ribs were protruding out of her skin.
I tried to hide the sadness in my eyes as I pulled myself up on my hands, staring down at the woman that I loved.

She was thinner, definitely thinner; her skin was still soft, but less supple - her breasts weren’t as full. I looked up at her face, realizing that the weight was waning from there too. Her cheeks were starting to look hallow, her hair lacked the fullness and shine it had always had before. Before… she wasn’t always like this. This happened after she met me… this is my fault.

“Marc…” She sighed, arching her back towards me, drawing me out of my thoughts. I looked back down at her beautiful face; guilt forcing to tear me apart as her mouth curled down into a pout.
I licked my lips before bringing them back down to cover her frown, pushing myself inside her and trying to ignore the revelations of the day; at least for one more night.



“Stupid Sidney and his stupid Olympics!” I whined as I followed Max through the throng of people. “I should have waited till he got back…”

“Why?! If anyone knows women it’s me… not the kid!” Max snapped back as he came to a halt outside a store. “Alright, this looks good. Remember, bigger is better…” He laughed loudly. “Of course you already know that… that’s why all the women come to me!”

“You’re disgusting.” I shook my head as I followed Max into the jewellers. I wished more than anything that Sidney was here; not just for the shopping… but the talks to. I had told Max my idea, that I was going to ask Abby to marry me; but I hadn’t told him about Vero’s confession. I wasn’t sure why. He was my team-mate and I knew I could trust him with something personal like that, but it just felt wrong; like telling Max would somehow make it more real…



This might be the hardest question, I decided solemnly. I clutched the ring in my hand as I sat on the bottom of the stairs; my head snapping up as I heard the doorknob turn. Abby came in a second later, a sake of groceries clutched under her arm. “Hey babe!” She smiled lightly as she took a few steps towards me, kissing me before heading into the kitchen.
I followed in after her, trying to control my breathing. I wasn’t sure what to do… I wasn’t even sure what I wanted anymore.

I grimaced as I watched her beginning to put the groceries away; her arms looked so brittle as she reached up for the top shelf. “Abby… can you come here.”

She turned around and looked at me, apprehension crossing her face. “Umm…sure…” She turned around and headed towards the kitchen table, plopping her small frame into a chair.

“I need to ask you something Abby, and I need an honest answer.” She tilted her head to the side as she watched me.

“Does this have something to do with your conversation with Vero at the wedding?” She asked quietly, never taking her eyes from me. I nodded slowly as her eyes began to fill with tears.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS SAKE.

    Ughhh. Dude, I don't even know what to say. I'm on the edge of my seat. This is damn cruel to do this to me. What did I ever do to you to make you want to do this to me?!

    Excellent, by the way. Still cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update! So glad that Vero talked to March, hopefully he can get Abby the help she needs!

    ReplyDelete