Thursday, October 22, 2009

Protector?

**Just an advance note: I'm sorry about how short this one is... I struggled with it alot and just want to apologise for it... better updates coming your way soon lol**


“Marc...” I felt someone gently shaking my arm, causing me to open my eyes; blinking against the light. Abby was snuggled up in the hospital bed, giving me a weak smile. “Morning...”

“Hey...” I said, stretching my soar body out; trying to work out the kinks from last night. “Did the doctor come in yet?” She started to shake her head as the door opened.

“Good morning...” Dr. Cashman said, taking the seat across from me, I reached out and grabbed Abby‘s hand as he rifled through some paperwork. “I have your lab results back. Baby B seems to be a very healthy baby boy... Baby A however...” Abby grabbed my hand tightly as she inhaled sharply, the doctor looked at me and I nodded for him to keep going. “Baby A seems to have DiGeorge's Syndrome. It's a genetic disorder that causes a lot of havoc on young children. In this case, it's his lungs. They're about half the developmental stage as his brother's.” Genetic? Genetic disorder… oh my god… I did this to him… my son could die, and it’s all my fault.

My guilt became unbearable as I looked over at Abby; who was on the verge of tears. “What do we do?” I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

“Well, we can abort Baby A... but there's a chance of loosing Baby B as well in that.”

“No... no abortions. No surgeries. He's a fighter. We'll pull through.” Emotion began to choke me at her proclamation, forming a lump in the middle of my throat; making it hard to draw a full breath. “I need to go home. I want to at home.”

“Aberleigh...” The doctor and I sighed at the same time.

I locked eyes with her as Dr. Cashman continued. “You need to be on strict bed rest. Bathroom only.” She nodded slowly, our faces both mirroring masks of complete devastation.

Genetic. Disorder. Abortion. I tried to focus on something concrete, something that made sense; something I could concentrate on. “We'll have to call off the wedding...” I said numbly, unable to think of anything else to say.



Abby didn’t protest when I lifted her out of the SUV; nor when I carried her through the front door and into the living room. I set her down gently on the couch and headed into the kitchen.
I wanted to hold her, kiss her, protect her; but I couldn’t - I was a coward. I disappeared around the corner, praying that she wouldn’t come looking for me. I dropped down onto the floor.

Why was this happening? I wasn’t a religious man, not by any means; but my mother had always said that god never gave us more than we could handle… It didn’t feel that way though. Why does there always have to be something? Why can’t we just have healthy, happy babies?

Sons. I grinned through me tears, resting my chin in my hands as I sat on the floor. My two boys… “Sons…” I whispered out loud, unable to hold it in any longer.
I sighed, pushing myself off the floor and wiping the tears off my face. I took a few deep breaths, trying to erase the sadness from my face before I made my way back to Abby.

When I came back around the corner I saw Abby sitting on the couch, Cooper’s head laying in her lap. She took a deep breath and then bent forward; her face nuzzling into Coop’s neck. I heard her begin to sob and watched as her body started to shake with the force of her pain. “Oh Abby…” I moaned, fresh tears beginning to pool in my eyes again.
I took off towards her, sitting beside her and pulling her towards me. “It’s gonna be ok baby… you're right; he’s a fighter, we’ll get through this.”

She wrapped her arms around my neck, clutching to me as her started to pool against my neck. “My baby Marc… not my baby…”

“Je vous promets, quoi qu'il arrive, nous allons passer à travers cette.” I pulled away from Abby, unable to hid my fear any longer. I gently placed my hands on her tiny baby bump. “S'il vous plaît ne meurent pas… please…” I kissed her stomach before moving up to her face; taking her neck in my hands and kissing her passionately through the salt of tears.





“Are you sure you’re going to be ok?” I nodded slowly, shifting my crutched under my weight as I stood at the front door with Sidney.

“Yah… No… I don’t know…” I took a deep breath, willing myself not to cry.

Sidney gave me a pat on the back. “It’s gonna work out Flower, alright? Anything you need… just give me a shout.” I nodded again, giving him a weak smile as he opened the door to leave. “Max?”

“Hey Sid!” He grinned, carrying a large bag under his arm.

“Umm… what’s that?” I asked Max as he pushed past me, heading for the stairs.

“Oh, I’m moving in… just taking my stuff upstairs to the guest bed… unless you want me to sleep in Abby’s room.” I exhaled loudly, sighing as I slowly followed him up the stairs.

We rounded the corner and continued down the hall. When we reached the guest bedroom he threw his stuff down on the bed and turned around to grin at me. “Why are you moving in, Max?”

He rolled his eyes at me before taking off down the hall towards my room. “Look… you’re a cripple, Abby’s on bed rest and Cooper’s gonna starve to death if you don’t have an able body in this house. I’m your able body!”
He threw open the door to reveal Abby laid up on the bed.

“Max! What are you doing?” She groaned as he flopped down on the bed beside her.

“I’m moving in! Dani told me to… alright well, maybe not exactly but; I can take a hint.” I expected Abby to protest, but she didn’t; sighing she rolled over, pulling the blankets up around her.

“Fine… but you’re not sleeping in here!”



I sat with Max on the couch, watching him flip through the channels while I tried to relax. “So… you’re like… alright?”

I nodded my head, closing my eyes. “I’m fine Max.”

“Alright. Just…. If you wanna have a chick talk… about feelings, and stuff…” I opened my eyes to stare at him, he shrugged in response.

Closing my eyes again, I let out a sigh. “They said it was genetic… what’s wrong with him, I mean. Is this my fault? Did I make him sick? Is this fate’s way of telling me that I don‘t deserve to be a father?”

“Flower… no. No. These things just happen sometimes, it’s not your fault. And hey, if anyone should be a father it’s you… you’re gonna spoil those little flower buds rotten. Both of them.”

“I hope you’re right…” I mumbled softly, keeping my eyes shut tight as tears began to threaten them.



“Marc…” Abby whispered in the darkness, as she laid next to me in our bed. “I’m scared, I don’t… I don’t know what to do…”

“We’ll get through this Abby, I promise… we’ll figure something out. Like you said, we’re fighters, remember?” I rolled onto my side and pulled her against me, hugging her tightly; trying to hide the pain in my voice. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” She sobbed; her hands clutching onto my tightly as she nuzzled her face into my neck.

I listened to Abby sleeping; wrapped in my arms; my hand resting protectively on her stomach. My sons were in there, snug and safe - for now - but knowing that might change for one of them, was terrifying.
They were so close to me, so small, so innocent; but I couldn’t defend them. For all the things I had ever worked for in my life, I couldn’t do anything to protect the two little boys that were depending on me - that was my last thought as I fell asleep.

6 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm going to cry. It's right there, the tears want to come. But it's like I'm too depressed to even let them flow.

    I feel for them. I mean, there's nothing they can do, but they feel so responsible.

    Max made me smile, though. Fave line of his: "you’re gonna spoil those little flower buds rotten."

    I feel like I need to go eat an entire carton of ice cream now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max is so sweet to move in to help them out!! Great update!! Hoping things go ok with the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg thats so sad. I wanna cry poor marc he must be heart broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. tears are all over my computer right now... i hope their okay cant wait to see what baby names yall choose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss this story.. I re read the whole thing yesterday...please come back

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, guys. Everytime I read this story it makes me cry!
    I hope you update soon, I'm dying here.

    ReplyDelete