Wednesday, October 7, 2009

He Never Said He Was Romeo

I shifted the weight of the bag in my arms as I opened the door and found Marc sitting on the stairs, staring off into nothingness. He'd been doing that since we got back from Sorel. Honestly... It was starting to scare me a little bit.

“Hey babe!” I smiled easily as I crossed the room and kissed him gently before heading into the kitchen to put away the groceries. I heard him sit at the table as I stretched uncomfortably to put away a box of pasta on the top shelf, almost out of reach. I heard him sigh deeply before finally speaking.

“Abby... can you come here?” I stopped right where I was, mid-stretch with a loaf of bread in my hands. The further out of my reach this was, the better off I was. I set the loaf of bread on the counter before slowly turning to Marc.

“Ummm... sure...” I furrowed my brow softly at the seriousness in his voice as I sat gently in the chair next to him. What was going on?

“I need to ask you something Abby, and I need an honest answer.” My breath caught in my throat as I watched him carefully.

“Does this have something to do with your conversation with Vero at the wedding?” I whispered, not trusting my own voice. He nodded slowly. Oh god... I knew it! He's going to end things... I wasn't good enough for him. I bit my lip gently as he moved his chair closer to me, tears stinging my eyes. I opened my mouth to say something, anything to convince him against what he was thinking. My mouth closed as soon as it opened as my brain searched for the right words. I'm sorry... I didn't mean to? What ever it is... We can fix this. Please don't leave me... I love you. I stared at our hands as he took mine firmly in his, squeezing them so I turned my gaze to his intense one.

“Abby....” He sighed, taking a quick glance at his hands, trying to collect his thoughts before turning back to me, my breath still caught in my throat. “You know I love you more than anything I've ever known. More than life...” He sighed. “I didn't think this would be so hard...” He muttered under his breath so quietly I barely caught it. “Abby... I need you, always. I love you so much. Which just makes this harder. Abby, you have a problem...” My breath released in a hiss as I pulled my hands out of his.

“Pardon me? What are you talking about Marc?” I stood from my chair and took several steps back, not wanting to be near him anymore.

“Abby, I think you have an eating disorder.” I physically recoiled from him as the words left his mouth.

“What? I don't have an eat disorder, Marc. I'm fine.” I reasoned, walking around the kitchen island to leave. He met me at the mouth of the hallway easily, resting his hands gently on my shoulders as I looked away from him.

“Aberleigh... Look at yourself... You're wasting away. I love you far too much to loose you like this. Baby...” He sighed, causing me to slowly look up and his stress drawn face. Oh god... I'm doing this to him. “Please... For me?” My tears over took me as he pulled me into a tight embrace. Did I really have a problem? I knew I looked horrible. My hair was stringy... my skin was like tissue paper...

“Okay...” I whispered into his chest.

“What?” He demanded pulling me away from him. “Did you? I mean... Really?” He smiled softly as I nodded slowly, staring at our feet, not having the ability to look at him. “I found a really good place... Here in Pittsburgh, and you can still stay home... And they have a program for me and Braeden too...” My eyes shot up to his, widening in hurt, anger, and shock.

“You told Braeden?” I cried, pushing him away from me before crossing to the kitchen.

“Of course I did... Abby... You're going to need all the help you can get. I don't want you to be alone through this...” He gestured helplessly at the kitchen.

“This... This is too much, Marc... I need... I need to think. I need... What about...? And... It's just... It's too much.” I shook my head backing up into the counter.

“Aberleigh…” He sighed stepping towards me as I stepped back, holding my hands up to keep him away. “He’s your family.”

“He didn’t need to know, Marc.” I shook my head as my back bumped against the counter. “Who else knows?” I whispered as I let him pull me into his chest.

“Vero…” He sighed as my gaze flipped up to him. “She told me… Well, she made me realize. I think Max is suspicious, but he doesn’t know what.”

“Where is this place?” I sighed against him. This was the last thing I ever wanted to do.

“It’s here in Pittsburgh. You go every day for just over 6 hours, and then come home, Monday to Friday.” I smiled softly as he kissed the top of my head. “I was thinking… You could stay at Braeden’s when I’m gone on the road.” I nodded as my tears slowly started to soak his shirt.

“When do I start?” I croaked, tightening my grip on his waist, like if I held on to him the world would just go away and everything would be fine.

“Tomorrow…” He whispered into my hair. “Braeden’s going to come with us… The Doc wants to meet everyone involved… Abby, you’ll like her. She’s a really sweet woman…” I sighed sadly, not at all ready for what was to come.




I sat in the backseat of Braeden’s car, staring out at the opposing building in front of us, not moving. Braeden sat in the front seat sighing dramatically. Marc… Marc sat next to me, squeezing my knee gently in reassurance.

“I’m not ready…” I whispered, talking to no one in particular, just the air, the building maybe…

“Yes, you are, Abby.” Marc whispered too me as Braeden got out of the car and began to pace its length.

“What about work? I have a huge meeting with a new client in two days!” I exclaimed. “I can’t miss that.”

“Yes you can… Your team will handle it.” He smiled at me taking hold of my hands that were shaking nervously. “Aberleigh, you can do this. You have the strength and the ability to do this…” He paused, causing me to look up at him and see the struggle in his face. “I need you to do this. I need you to come home to me, Abby.” I took a shaky breath and nodded. I could do this… for him. He opened the door and stepped out, waiting for me to follow. I sighed deeply as my mind raced. Was I weak? Why couldn't I do this on my own? Would he wait? Would he still love me when I was fat? I shook my head trying to push away the negative thoughts as I slid out of the car, took Marc's hand and walked into the building with Marc on one side, and Braeden, the other.

“We have an appointment with Dr. Ashby.” Marc informed the harsh looking woman behind the desk.

“Name.” She barked turning to me as I curled up closer to Marc. I am not staying here!

“Aberleigh Michaels.” He provided ignoring my glare. Traitor. The woman turned to her computer and typed for a few moments before turning back to us.

“Third door on the left.” She nodded before going back to her work. Braeden and Marc nodded before heading in the direction the woman had indicated.

“Marc...” I whispered as we stopped in front of the door. “Please don't make me come here.” I held onto his arm tightly. “I'll do better. Marc, please... This place is freaking me out.”

“Aberleigh,” The harshness in my brother's voice caused me to turn towards him. “Grow the fuck up. This isn't just about you. Get in the room.” He pulled the door open and held it there for me.

“Braeden...” Marc sighed before turning my face gently towards him. “Baby, I know this place is intimidating. It's only for a couple of weeks. Just meet some of the staff. Meet Dr. Ashby.” I bit my lip nervously before nodding, and allowing Marc to pull me into the office.

The office was warm and bright. Books covered the walls from floor to ceiling. I slowly turned to the comfortable looking desk at the end of the room and the small friendly looking woman sitting behind it.

“You must be Abby...” She smiled rising from her chair and circling the desk to shake my hand.

“It's Aberleigh.” I corrected as I shook her hand. You couldn't be just anyone and call me Abby.

“My apologies.” She smiled motioning towards a set of three chairs in front of her desk. I sat in the middle chair flanked by the two most important men in my life, as she moved back to her own chair. Braeden, to my right, stared into space, anger set on his face. Marc took my hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze as the doctor started. She ran through everything.

How tall was I... 5'3”

How much did I weigh... This morning? 92 lbs.

What did I eat yesterday... A banana, 2 pieces of celery and a small bowl of pasta.

How often did I exercise... Daily from 3-4 hours

How do I exercise... Gym, running, aerobics, pilates.

When did this start? I stopped and closed my mouth, staring at her.

“13...” Braeden whispered next to me. “She was 13.” My head whipped around to stare at him. “That's when she started to 'eat' in the kitchen with Lucy, our maid.”

“How did you know that?” I asked him softly. I didn't even know that...

“I watched what happened, Abby. Mum started about your weight when I was 11, you were 12. You gave up at 13.”

“Your mum sounds like a hard person to live with.” Dr. Ashby nodding making notes in the file in front of her.

“Our parents are quirky...” I shrugged causing Braeden to laugh shortly.

“Yah they openly display their favourtisms.” I nodded causing the doctor to look confused.

“According to Mum, Braeden is the second coming of the Messiah. Perfect in every way.” I grinned batting my eyes at Braeden.

“And Dad's openly said that Abby's 'the son he never had'.” He held up his hand to stop Dr. Ashby. “I know.... I am his son. Just not in his eyes.”

“Well, I think that's something that we'll have to bring up in group again. Now, how about we take you for a tour and show you, Aberleigh where you'll be during the day.”I turned to glance at Marc as he nodded slowly.




Two weeks later I stormed into the house slamming the door shut behind me. Marc peaked his head around the corner from the kitchen.

“Abby... What's wrong?” He asked drying his hands on a towel, stepping into the living room.

“I can't handle this anymore!” I screamed throwing my bag onto the couch.

“Can't handle what, baby?” He walked slowly toward me, stopping right in front of me and rubbing on the top of my arms.

“This! Being a prisoner in my own life!” I groaned against him. “I can't leave my house with out someone with me. I'm babysat all day. Forced to eat crazy foods that are making me fat! Fat, Marc! Look at me! I'm huge now!” I exclaimed, my eyes stinging with tears. 20 pounds in two weeks. He sighed, pushing me away from him slightly as he looked me over.

“I don't see an ounce of fat. Just my, Abby.” I blushed softly as he led me over to the couch. “Abby...” He smiled gently as he took my hands in his. “I need you to keep going... If you get any smaller... you won't be able to fit this...” I glanced down at his hands to find a beautiful platinum solitaire diamond ring.

“Oh Marc...” I gushed softly as he moved the ring towards my left hand.

“Abby... Will you... Marry me?” I nodded slowly as he slid the ring over it's newly appointed home. Grinning sheepishly as it got stuck on my knuckle. “It's stuck...”

“See, Marc.. A week ago, this wouldn't have happened.” I sighed, as I pulled the ring off, studying it closely. “An inscription?” I smiled softly, reading the small letters on the inside of the ring. “Love conquers all... Oh Marc. I love it!” I squealed hugging him tightly.

“We'll get it resized, Abby.” He smiled as I showered his face with kisses.

“I know...” I sighed through my kisses, finally landing on his mouth. He groaned into the kiss as he leaned me back against the couch. “Marc...” I groaned as he moved to my neck.

“Let's go to bed...” He whispered into ear, kissing the lobe gently. “FiancĂ©e...”

2 comments:

  1. You can do it Abby!! You HAVE to!!!

    And what a gorgeous ring. Simple yet meaningful. And that pretty much sums up their relationship.

    I hope this is the start of only good things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope she gets better for her and Marc!! Great update

    ReplyDelete