Monday, October 19, 2009

The Other Shoe

Aberleigh-

I paced in front of the coffee table, Cooper pacing at my side, and Marc lying on the couch with his ankle up, as I chewed on my thumb nail.

“Abby... Just call them. Get it over with...” He sighed causing me to stop briefly and look at him.

“Marc, my parents aren't normal parents. Lucy and Emma will be excited, and will probably try to come to Pittsburgh if they can get away from Mum and Daddy. But my parents aren't going to be excited about this.” I sighed, pacing again, Cooper stopped me with a loud bark. I looked down at him as he whined, pushing the portable phone towards me. I sighed deeply as I took the portable phone in my hands and dialed the familiar numbers, holding it to my ear tightly.

“Abby...” Marc groaned. “C'mon, put it on speaker.” I cringed lightly hitting the button for speaker phone, and starting to pace again. It rang again, and again, until finally on the fifth ring the answering machine clicked on.

“You have reached the Michaels' residence,” Lucy's voice softly soaked through the room as I grabbed the phone, taking it off speaker to leave the message. “No one is here to take your call. Leave your name, number and a brief message and someone will return your call as soon as possible.”

“Mum... Daddy... It's Aberleigh. I'm calling...” I took a deep breath and glanced at Marc, who nodded encouragingly. “Well... I'm calling to tell you that we got engaged. So we're getting married. But also... I... Well... I'm pregnant.” I blurted out with an exasperated breath. “So... I guess... I'll talk to you later. Bye...” I disconnected the phone, tossing it on the floor before gently laying on top of Marc, burying my face against his chest.

“There... that wasn't so bad.” He laughed, rubbing my back gently. “What?” He exclaimed as I turned a glare up to him. “You survived. The babies survived... Life is good.” He shrugged easily kissing the top of my head. Cooper came right up to the couch and Marc's face as he began to growl softly.

“Cooper.” I scolded softly, climbing off of Marc carefully. “Down boy. That's Daddy.” I sighed, tapping the dog's nose with my index finger. “What do you want for lunch, Marc?”

“A ham sandwich if we have any ham left would be awesome.” He called after me as the dog trotted into the kitchen.

“And what would you like, Cooper? Some ham?” I laughed as he barked once, sitting nicely by the sink. I pulled open the fridge door and took out a loaf of bread, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and the large ham I had made the day before. I cut a hunk off for Cooper, tossing it easily to him. I threw two sandwiches together quickly, placing them on plates before filling two large glasses with lemonade and carrying my spoils back to the living room.

Marc had pulled himself into a sitting position as I brought in the food, placing it on the table in front of us. I smiled softly as he kissed my cheek in thanks before digging in.



“Abby... Come on! It'll be good for us...” Marc sighed following me and the laundry basket up the stairs towards the bedroom.

“I just don't know, Marc... Maybe we should talk to Dr. Cashman first. I mean... What if-” He stopped my worry with his index finger, causing me to sigh gently.

“No what ifs. No problems, no worries. I was cleared. We can go. You don't see Dr. Ashby for another week and a half, and your appointment with Dr. Cashman is in another two weeks. It's the perfect timing... Please baby...?” He pleaded, bating his long lashes at me. I laughed and shook my head at him as I started to fold the laundry.

“Ok, Marc. We can go to Fiji now... Book the flights.” Marc whooped for joy as he hobbled out of the room on his crutches to find the phone and make the plans. “Your daddy's crazy...” I whispered rubbing the small bump between my hips.



“Abbs let me take that...” Sidney's voice broke through my thoughts as he took a tray full of food from my hands. “Should you even be lifting that?” He asked concerned as we both headed downstairs into the bar.

“I don't know, Sidney... But who else is going to lift these things? Marc?” He laughed gently as we entered the large room where most of the team, and management had gathered. I smiled tiredly at Marc as he leaned against his crutches playing foosball with Jordan, Geno, and Max.

“Ok, you have a point. But Abbs, with everyone here… Let us help.” I smiled, squeezing his forearm in thanks as I made my way over to Marc and the boys.

“Who's winning?” I whispered, kissing the underside of Marc's jaw.

“Jordan and Geno. But not by much.” He grunted, completely infatuated with the game in front of him. I sighed softly, rubbing his back absently as I moved back to some of the others.

“Aberleigh, you look utterly exhausted dear.” Nathalie Lemieux wrapped her arm around my shoulders as I tried to keep in another sigh. “Why don't you go and have a nap? Those babies need you to be healthy.” I smiled softly up at her before nodding.

“I think you're right, Nathalie. A nap does sound good.” I let her lead me to the bottom of the stairs before I glanced back at Marc.

“Don't worry, I'll tell him where you went.” She reassured me before shooing me up the steps. “Besides the way those boys play, he could be another half an hour.” We both laughed gently as I headed up both sets of stairs and climbed, fully clothed into bed, curling up to my chocolate lab, drifting off to sleep.



I groaned as someone shook me gently, pulling the soft, fluffy pillow closer to me. The shaking just got stronger as I let go of my pillow and rolled over, opening my eyes to find Marc hovering over me.

“Hey...” I whispered, rubbing the sleep out my eyes before sitting up slowly.

“Hey...” He smiled kissing me softly, causing Cooper, my pillow, to growl. “Shut up, Coop.” He mumbled against my lips, rubbing my lower back gently. “You have a visitor at the front door.” He whispered softly letting me go. I looked at him curiously as he took my hands and pulled me off the bed. “Just go.” He grinned leading me to the door, Cooper right behind us.

“Mum?” I gasped as I rounded the corner to find my mother standing in the doorway. Cooper instantly jumped between us, growling at the strange woman. “What are you doing here?”

“I got your message, Aberleigh.” She sneered at Cooper, waving her light driving glove at him, even though she hadn't been driving. “You have a... thing...”

“His name is Cooper. And he's a dog, Mum.” I sighed, placing my hand on the top of Cooper's head. She waved her hand dismissively as her stern eye trained on me.

“You've put on weight.” She observed, causing Marc to groan gently. I took his hand in mine and gave him a reassuring squeeze.

“Mum, I'm pregnant; I should be putting on weight. I'm having twins, so weight is a good thing.” I sighed, motioned for her to come inside. “Why don't you come in, so we can talk? You can meet some of our friends.”

“You have guests? Please, forgive me. I'll come back.” My mother apologized, turning back towards the door. I looked at Marc in utter shock. My mother apologized??

“Please, Veronica, we'd really like for you to meet some of these people. My boss and his wife are here, I'm sure they'd be honoured to meet you.” My mother smoothed her skirt down before handing her jacket, hat and gloves to Marc and marching into the kitchen. Both Marc and I rolled our eyes, Marc placing the items on the couch before following her into the kitchen.



My mother sat awkwardly on a couch downstairs, not talking to anyone, minus Braeden, not eating anything, and taking small sips of her glass of water, which was not sparkling or served from a fancy glass bottle. I finally had seen enough and moved to the other side of her, sitting on the couch, stifling a yawn.

“You’ve gained weight beyond this pregnancy, Aberleigh; I can see it in your face.” She noted, staring at the wall in front of us. I sighed gently before starting my rebuttal.

“I have… Mum, I have bulimia. It’s pretty bad. And it’s taken me a long time to be ok with my weight gain. And I’m trying really hard to stay okay with this weight gain.” I studied my ceiling intently not wanting to see her reaction before I heard it.

“What are you saying, Aberleigh?” Her voice may have been hard as steel but there was definitely a waver in it. I took a deep breath trying to decide my best course of action.

“What she’s saying, Mum.” Braeden’s voice beat me to the punch as my eyes flew open in shock at him. “Is that she needs you to back off and let her be.” I watched mum for her reaction as she sighed softly.

“Okay… I can do that. But Aberleigh, you’re not married, and you’re having children.””We’re going to get married, Mum… The planning was just too much right now. With everything that was happening, Marc and I both just wanted to take some time and do this right.” She began to smile slowly, which wasn’t always a good thing with my mother, a twinkle set softly in her eye.

“Well, if it was the planning that was the issue… Then you don’t mind if I do a little planning myself, do you?” My mouth moved to speak, but no words would come out. My brain was frozen, like no matter how much warm water was poured over it, it wasn't thawing.

“That would be awesome, Veronica. Thanks.” Marc's voice caused me to jerk my head around to face him, glaring. “What? Abby, you're tired all the time now. Nothing's getting done... and if your mom wants to help plan her only daughter's wedding why not?” My eyes narrowed, causing my lips to pucker into a grimace as I vowed to myself to make sure he saw why this was a bad idea. My mother, on the other hand, was radiant.

“Oh good!” She crowed clapping her hands together. “I spoke to Father Edmund at Saint Patrick's, now you know how hard it is to get into that church; but Aberleigh, he was so excited to do your wedding. So I need you and Marc to meet with him on Saturday before mass. And please, dear... wear something... loose... that day. No need to let the priest know why it's a quick engagement.”

“Quick engagement? Mum, we were planning for next summer. Not this year.” I turned towards her slowly, Braeden sending me a look of pure fear over her head.

“Oh pssh, Aberleigh. I will not have my grandchildren come into this world out of wedlock.” She scolded me, pulling out a large filofax and flipping it open to the right page. “Now... plan to be in New York that weekend. We have a lot to do.” I sighed leaning back against the couch and covering my eyes. “Marc, dear, bring your mother. I'm sure she'll want to know what's going on.” I covered my eyes briefly to see Marc nod mutely. Coward. “Aberleigh, we have a dress fitting with Vera early Sunday, and then the caterer, the cake, and we have to choose a spot in central park for the reception. Oh, Aberleigh! The Governor has already RSVP'd!” She squealed excitedly causing me to sigh deeply as I felt a gentle kiss on my forehead.

“It won't be that bad...” Marc whispered into my ear. “Let her have her fun.”

“This means no Fiji, Marc... I guess we have to wait for our honeymoon.” I laughed as he groaned before leaving me in my mother's evil grasp and taking Braeden, my only refuge with him.



New York was exactly how I remembered it. Big, loud, dirty and impersonal. I sighed deeply as we stood on the steps of the imposing Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Marc in complete awe, me? Petrified. I hadn't been back to this church in years. Since I had moved from my parents home.

“Ready?” Marc whispered as he squeezed my hand gently.

“I don't really have a choice in the matter...” I sighed, starting up the steps slowly.

“Little Aberleigh Michaels!” Father Edmund met us just inside the door, pulling me into a brief hug. “It's been too long.”

“It has, Father. How have you been?” I smiled the same smile I gave this man since I was six. He seriously creeped me out.

“All is as well as it can be. The church survives, it's people... survive. So it is not for me to complain in what God has provided.” I nodded piously, before elbowing Marc in the ribs for giggling at the last comment. Honestly, sometimes these boys truly were children. “This must be the infamous Marc your mother was tell me about.”

“Yes, Father Edmund, this is my fiancée Marc-Andre Fleury.” I smiled as the two men shook hands before the priest lead us into a room off of the rectory.

“Now when did you to get engaged?” He began as he sat behind an imposing oak desk, motioning to us to take seats in the smaller chairs across from him.

“Beginning of March...” Marc smiled squeezing my hand gently.

“And Marc were you raised Roman Catholic?” My eyes widened as I glanced over at Marc. Religion was never a topic we discussed. Both of us avoiding it rather successfully. I didn't know if he believed in God.

“High Anglican...” He answered smoothly. “I was an alter boy for a few years until hockey got too busy.” I smiled softly, giving his hand another squeeze as Marc and Father Edmund started into a deep discussion on dogma.



I cringed, hiding myself against Marc as my mother stood from the table in the restaurant 'yoohoo'ing us towards her, France, and Marylene.

“How was mass, Aberleigh?” She smiled softly as I took the seat Marc pulled out for me.

“Refreshing, Mother. How was flower shopping?” I narrowed my eyes at her, wondering how much say she let the other two women have. What was she plotting?

“Abby, we picked out the nicest flowers! You like white, right? I mean of course you do. But it's so nice, and not overpowering and my bouquet is so nice!” Marylene jumbled on faster then a five year old at camp.

“What did you do, feed her coffee?” Marc laughed watching his sister closely.

“Just an espresso...” My mother shrugged before turning back to her drink.

“Have you two discussed your guest lists?” France's voice jolted me out of my wondering what my mother was actually up to.

“Guest lists?” Marc asked looking over at me worried.

“It's easy... The team... Danielle... Vero, Mary, your parents... Braeden, my parents” I shrugged as Marc visibly relaxed. “Who else do we need?”

“Well Governor Paterson and Senators Gillibrand and Schumer will be there with their significant others will be there. As well as the McCallums, and the Montgomerys. Aberleigh, did you honestly think your father and I couldn't invite these people?” She sighed shaking her perfectly coiffed hair at me as my shoulders slumped slightly.

“So much for my quiet wedding...” I mumbled under my breath, sighing deeply.

“Well we are paying for this Aberleigh. And you do want your daddy to walk you down the aisle, don't you?” She sneered as my eyes snapped up to hers in shock.

“You're serious? Daddy won't walk me down the aisle unless I do this your way?” I pushed my chair back roughly, shaking my head as tears gently hit my cheeks. “Plan it with out me then, Mother. Dress and all. I'll email Vera my measurements. Just tell me when and where. Better yet. Send me an invitation.” I spat, spinning on my heel and starting back the five blocks to the hotel.

“Abby... Abby, wait!” I heard Marc call, causing me to slow my pace slightly as he caught up quickly on his crutches.

“I don't want to talk about it, Marc. I just want to go home. I want to see Cooper again.” I sighed as he tugged on my arm, making me stop.

“Abby, we don't have to do this if you don't want to. We can have it at our place, or even Mario's...” He sighed as I shook my head, curling into his arms.

“Every girl dreams of their daddy walking them down the aisle, Marc. Even me.” He laughed kissing the top of my head. “We'll just give her that day and escape right after. Take me home.” I looked up at him, smiling as his kissed the tip of my nose.

“Your wish is my command.” He atoned as we made our way to the hotel to pack and leave.




The sun beat down on me as I lay on a lawn chair by the pool in the back yard, Cooper sighing lazily beside me.

“It's almost summer, Coop. Marc comes home from Montreal tomorrow with the team. See the doctor about my beautiful babies on Wednesday. Life is just about perfect.” I smiled into the sky as Cooper thumped his tail in agreement. I rubbed my rounding belly softly as I glanced down at it, smiling. “My two perfect babies... with my perfect dog and my perfect fiancée.”

“Abby!” Marc's voice rang through the house as I climbed out of the chair and ran full force at him.

“You're home!” I cried hugging him tightly as he threw a crutch down to hold me. “Why are you home so early?” I looked up at him cautiously.

“I missed you. I didn't want to stay away any longer... The guys won, in regulation, so we caught an earlier flight. Everyone had a somewhere's else to be. And mine was right here with my three favourite people.” He sighed, leaning in to kiss me. Following his lead I tip toed up to meet him half way. “Babe... did you get bigger?” He pulled back, grinning like a fool as he ran his hands down to my ballooning stomach. I bit my lower lip gently as I nodded slightly.

“I had to buy maternity pants with Dani yesterday. I can't fit in any of my suits.” I laughed showing Marc the spandex top of the pants I was wearing. “It's really embarrassing.”

“Nah...” His grin took up his entire face as he leaned down to kiss my stomach. “I think it's awesome.” He moved again to kiss my stomach as Cooper appeared at my side growling loudly.

“Cooper!” I scolded as Marc stepped back slightly.



Marc and I sat in the small examining room, clutching to each other's hands, what had started as something exciting turned into something terrifying in seconds. My ultrasound was done and had been looked at by three different nurses and Dr. Cashman before we were told to wait in this overly sterile room for Dr. Cashman to come back, he wanted to order more tests. More tests for what? What was wrong with my babies?!

“Mr. Fleury... Miss Michaels...” Dr. Cashman nodded at both of us as he came into the room looking serious. “I want to schedule you for an amniocentesis this afternoon, Miss Michaels. To rule out some things.” I nodded slowly as he wrote some notes into my chart before passing it off to an awaiting nurse. “Debbie's going to go with you both to Magee-Women's Hospital. They're going to admit you for the night, Miss Michaels. It's just until we know the results and can make further decisions.” I nodded numbly against Marc as he pulled me tightly against him. “Do either of you have any questions?”

“Are my babies ok?” I whispered, not trust myself to stay strong if I was any louder.

“That's what we're trying to make sure of...” The doctor reassured me, patting my knee gently.

“Marc... Poor Cooper... We should call Braeden...” I looked up at him sadly as Debbie came in and led us down the hallway towards the hospital.



The next morning I woke up with a kink in my back. I stretched, twisting to try and get the kink out. I glanced around the room, trying to remember where I was as I found Marc sleeping in an uncomfortable looking chair.

“Marc...” I reached over and shook his arm gently as he blinked his eyes open. “Morning...”

“Hey...” He whispered, stretching. “Did the doctor come in yet?” I shook my head as the door opened and Dr. Cashman walked through.

“Good morning...” He smiled before sitting in the chair across from Marc. “I have your lab results back.” I looked down at Marc as I clutched his hand tightly in mine. “Baby B seems to be a very healthy baby boy... Baby A however...” My breath caught in my throat as Marc nodded for the doctor to continue. “Baby A seems to have DiGeorge's Syndrome. It's a genetic disorder that causes a lot of havoc on young children. In this case, it's his lungs.” The doctor sighed giving us a chance to disgest the news. My baby's lungs weren't developing? “They're about half the developmental stage as his brother's.”

“What do we do?” Marc asked, as I placed my left hand on my stomach, biting back tears.

“Well, we can abort Baby A.. But there's a chance of loosing Baby B as well in that.”

“No...” I whispered. “No abortions. No surgeries. He's a fighter. We'll pull through.” I looked up at Marc, tears streaming down my cheeks as my eyes hardened. “I need to go home. I want to at home.”

“Aberleigh...” Marc and Dr. Cashman sighed at the same time.

“You need to be on strict bed rest.” Dr. Cashman urged. “Bathroom only.” I nodded still holding Marc's gaze with mine.

“We'll have to call off the wedding...” Marc mused, turning back to the doctor to get the rest of the instructions.



Marc carried me into the house gently placing me on the couch before disappearing into the kitchen. The ride home had been eerily silent, neither of us wanting to break through the thin walls holding the other person together.

Cooper gently rested his snout on my thigh, sighing as I rubbed his head gently, tears falling onto his chestnut-y fur. My mourning of my baby's health finally taking over me as I allowed myself to sob into the dogs soft fur.

3 comments:

  1. My heart is breaking for them. Everything they have gone through and have overcome, and then this. I'm happy they have each other though, that they can bounce off the other. Now I'm all worried... how am I supposed to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And things were looking up for them.

    Nooooo.... things have to be okay. If things aren't okay with them, then things aren't right with the world.

    Gahh. But the post was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so sad!!!! Poor Abby and MAF!!!

    ReplyDelete