Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bailing Out

Wedged tightly into the back of Sidney’s Range Rover; between Geno and Staal, I still wasn’t quiet sure how I had allowed this to happen. Of course I remembered Talbo running into my house, freaking out like an idiot and dragging me off the couch; but I still wasn’t quiet sure why I had actually gone along with this.
My entire world had crashed down around me yesterday - Jesus, had it only been yesterday? - and what I needed was to grieve; not party. Sidney was painfully empathetic to my plea; shooting me concerned glances in the rear-view mirror as he drove, and I could tell he didn‘t want me out here anymore than I did. Yet when it came to Max; there was just no winning. To him, there was nothing in the world that some strong liquor and loose women couldn’t fix.

Max had me more worried than the idea of the bar itself. When Max Talbot can’t stop turning around and smiling at you, it normally doesn’t end so well.
I was surprised that Mario wasn’t trying to stop this trip as it was… according to the boys, last night at the Diesel had ended up being fairly eventful; and not at all in the good way. I supposed it had a lot to do with me, and Mario’s concern for my sanity.

As Sidney pulled into the parking lot I couldn’t help but cringe. The first thing I could see was a group of girls in the line-up out front. The girl at the start of the group was wearing a shirt with my numbers; or at least what was left of it. She’d managed to rip it apart and tie it back on in some fashion; only stretched out to cover the vital areas.
I returned my eyes back to Maxime; his grin stretching across his face, threatening to take in his ears. “Gonna be a good night eh?”

I didn’t dignify him with a response, turning my eyes down to the only safe place; my lap. I felt Geno’s deep chuckle beside me as Sidney put the vehicle in park and climbed out. “It good time. Lots of girls. Smile.” Geno grabbed my arm and pulled me out into the night behind him.


“She use to live up the street from me, that’s how we met. She was the prettiest girl in the whole school but she picked me… skinny, shy me…” The girl beside me looked uncomfortable as I rattled on about Vero; but I didn’t care.
Whenever something came up that I needed to talk about I had always gone to Vero, with her gone, I found myself with no one to rant to.

“Ah, excuse us sweetness, I need to talk to my friend here.” I let out an audible sigh as Max shooed the girl away, taking her place beside me. “So, are you blind and crazy now? She was hot Flower… and she totally wanted it!”

“Max, I told you… I don’t want to hook up with some random girl.” He cracked another grin at me, like what I had just said was hilarious. I was about to ask what was so funny when he jumped up and bounded away. I was only alone for a minute before Geno approached.

“You not have good time?” He asked quietly, his deep voice blending in with the nightclubs bass; forcing me to strain my ears in order to hear him. I shrugged my shoulders, letting a huff escape me; as I slouched back onto the couch.

“Why aren’t you out there?” I asked pointing over the VIP’s railing, down into the crowd of scantily clad women.

“I find later. You need friend now.” I smiled in acknowledgement, accepting the glass he held out to me. “I here to listen, when you need.” He said before taking a swig of beer.

“You’re a good man Mr. Malkin.” I grinned, tapping my glass against his bottle. It was true. Sidney was terrified of saying the wrong thing, while Max didn’t think there was anything that needed to be said; Geno was my quiet saviour, offering me his presence without forcing me to talk.
We sat in silence and I had to admit to myself, I was glad I wasn’t at home alone. The club left a lot to be desired but, being in VIP saved me from having to interact with anyone other than my team-mates. That was until Max came back…

“Flower! Flower! Alright so… you said no random chicks, meet… the non-random chick.” He had his arm slung around the shoulders of a young woman, who looked like this was the last place she wanted to be. Max lead her over to the couch and dumped her beside me; signalling for Geno to follow him. Together they left the sitting area, leaving me alone with the girl.

“Umm… I’m Marc…” I figured I might as well talk to her, she looked more uncomfortable than me.

“Yes, I know who you are. My name’s Aberleigh Micheals, I’m a PR rep for the Penguins… I work for Mr. Lemieux.” Even in this setting she sounded professional as she spook. She didn‘t look at me however, keeping her eyes fixed across the room. I followed her stare to see Max laying the charm on thick; his arms around the waist of a skinny brunette.

Mistaking her expression I asked, “Crush on Talbot?”

“What?” For the first time she pulled her eyes away from Max and turned to me. “Max? Oh… oh no! Believe me, not my type at all.” She smiled to herself, finally realizing my assumption, “The girl he’s hitting on… she’s my best friend.”

“And you’re worried.” I finished for her allowing myself to relax.

“You wouldn’t be?” I grimaced at her question, causing her to laugh. “Trust me, I’ve been covering up for him for a while now… I know what he’s capable of and I don’t plan on letting him hurt my friend.”

“It’s a noble plan, although she might have other plans.” I chuckled nodding back at the bar; where Max was successfully leading the girl towards the door.

“Ugh… no way!” She stood up, making to follow after the pair.

“I’ll come with you, I don’t want to be here anyway.” She smiled at me and we hurriedly made our way out the front door.



“Dani!” Aberleigh cried once we were clear of the bar. “Dani, come on, we’re leaving.” She sighed and made her way over to the girl.

“We’re leaving too Max…” I followed behind Aberleigh; glad have a reason to leave the bar. “We’ll go get some food or something man… it’s getting late.”

Max looked back and forth between Aberleigh and I; apparently trying to find some way to continue on with his original plans. “Fine.” He said finally, a smile spreading across his face. “We can leave and grab some food, but only if she comes with us.” Max finished, pleased with himself.

Dani nodded excitedly, smiling up at Max; while Aberleigh let out a groan. “But I’m her drive…”

“Guess you just have to come too then… you got a car here?” Max chuckled, unable to contain his pleasure any longer. Aberleigh nodded letting out a sigh as she ushered Dani towards a black car parked on the other side of the parking lot.
Now free from Dani, Max began elbowing me in the ribs; “Eh? Eh? Told you…”

I sighed and leaned against Sidney’s SUV as Max jogged back into the Diesel to find Staalsy, Sid and Geno. For a while I had actually been glad that I came; now however, I was more than ready to head home. I thought about just plastering on a smile and tagging along but I decided against it. I tried not to think about how I would normally be leaving the bar with Vero at this time, getting ready to head home and curl up together on our bed…
I could feel my emotional strength waning and I decided that I just needed to head home. With one last glance at Diesel, I pushed myself off the SUV and followed the sidewalk out into the night.

4 comments:

  1. "To him, there was nothing in the world that some strong liquor and loose women couldn’t fix."

    Ahahaha!

    I feel so bad for MAF. I just wanna hug him, pet his head, and whisper in his ear that everything's gonna be okay. Sure, it hurts now, but it's gonna get better...

    Poor MAF. Loved it Zigh, just like always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max is too funny! Poor Marc-Andre! Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When Max Talbot can’t stop turning around and smiling at you, it normally doesn’t end so well."

    HAHAHA. I can totally see this, and yeah, I don't think it would end well either if he was doing that. haha.

    There's a lot of hockey boys out there right now that I just want to swoop in and take them away. And right now, Flower is one of them. =(

    Awesome update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Marc. Evil Max. Trying to get Marc laid. Ok, that's not completely evil, just kind of because Marc hasn't grieved yet.

    Excellent update.

    ReplyDelete