Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Redemption

I saw Aberleigh handle the reporters with so much class and sophistication; I was sure I had looked like an incompetent ass in comparison. She wrapped off the press-conference and ushered me off the stage; back towards the hallways, back towards safety.
She took off in the direction of her office and I watched her go. Suddenly I was trotting after her; not really sure why. I caught up to her and reached out, touching her arm gingerly. She stopped walking and turned; looking surprised to see me.

"Thank you," I said, unsure of what else to say - hoping she understood that I wasn’t just talking about the press-conference.

"Anytime, Marc-Andre. Anytime." She said with warmth in her voice, smiling at me genuinely. I nodded and turned towards the dressing-room; wondering if, for the first time I had one light of solace to turn to.



“What’s that smile all about Flower?” I heard someone yell as I pushed the door open. Realizing that I was grinning like an idiot, I rearranged my face into a look of apology, as I stared down at my feet.

“I’m really sorry you guys… I know that I’m playing like shit but… I’ll be better tomorrow, I promise.” I looked up to see everyone smiling at me; some with happiness, others with pity.

“No worries Flower, you can make it up against the Leafs tomorrow.” I nodded my head, thankful that I had such a great group of guys around me. “I still think you should come out tonight though…” Max continued, punching me on the shoulder.

I shook my head sheepishly, “Just calling it a night man…” To my surprise he nodded; not arguing at all. Ok… that’s not good, I sighed as I watched Max finishing getting dressed, smiling from ear to ear.

I decided it would be best if I left before something happened; Max was the type of guy that usually found a way to get what he wanted… making this a dangerous situation.
I grabbed my bag and headed for the door, relief flooding through me as I pushed it open; without being stopped. I took an apprehensive step into the hallway, “Oh hey, Flower!” I knew it… I turned around to see Max’s smiling face again. “Here.” He held out a piece of paper to me.

I turned around and looked at it, this is it, a piece of paper? “Ummm…?” I shot him a questioning glance, looking for some kind of explanation.

“I snuck into Mario’s office and got her number for you… can you believe he didn’t trust me enough to give it to me?” Everyone was watching us now; clearly confused about the exchange.
I felt eyes on me, wondering who Max was talking about. “You know, Aberleigh…”

I felt my face fill with colour as Staalsy walked towards Max, “You mean the hot PR girl?” Max nodded in acknowledgement, still holding the number out towards me. I shook my head and turned back around, heading towards the hallway.

“Max, that’s uncalled for…” I heard Sid start in on him as I headed home.

What’s he trying to prove? Just cause I didn’t sleep with her the other night he has to keep trying? He’s such an idiot some times I mean… sure she’s really, really beautiful but there’s so much more to her than that… I let out a sigh and dropped my bag on the floor. I was halfway up the hallway but I knew I’d be mad if I didn’t. I turned back around and jogged towards the locker-room.

Throwing the door open I walked past a confused looking Sidney and a grinning Geno. “Give it to me.” I said bluntly, causing Max to smile.

“Give what to you?“ He quipped back, obviously enjoying his new found game.

I let out an exasperated sigh and he pulled the number out of his pocket. I grabbed it from him and headed back out the door; hearing the room erupt with cheers and hollers as I made my way back down the hallway.


Sitting on the floor of my room, my back resting against the bed; I looked around the floor at the hundreds of pictures that surrounded me. Every new picture I found caused a sharp new stab of pain to rip through my chest. “Why did you have to leave me, babe?” I sighed as I lifted up a picture of Vero on a beach in Daytona. “I would have given you anything you wanted… I can’t believe I fucked this up so bad.” The only thing that ever mattered, the most important thing in my life and I fucked it up. What is wrong with me?
I was hazardous, broke, useless without her. I smiled for the first time since I had left the rink, as I picked up the piece of paper beside me.
I didn’t want to do it, I didn’t want to call her up and bother her with my problems; but I need someone.
I need a person to talk to; that wasn’t going to make me feel small, or pathetic. I needed a friend, I needed her.

I dialled the numbers timidly; afraid of what she’d say about me crossing this line. It rang three times before she answered. “Hello?”

“Hey…” I cleared my throat, “Hi Aberleigh… it’s Marc-Andre. Fleury.” I stumbled over my words, cursing myself for calling.

“Oh! Hi, Marc…”

“I got your number from Max, sorry…”

She let out a small laugh, “Don’t apologise, what do you need?”

To not be alone. “I just thought I’d see… how you were…” And she official thinks I’m crazy…

“I’m good thanks. Are you sure everything’s ok?”

I let out a sigh, “yah, look I’m sorry about this… but, I was wondering… Do you think you’d come watch my game tomorrow?” I blurted the last part out quickly, without thinking.

“Of course Marc. I’m always at the home games; I need to be on in case something happens…”

“No, I know… I meant, would you watch it? Like, in the stands?” When she didn’t reply I pressed on, “I could you get you some more tickets, if you wanted to take Dani with you… right behind the net!” I added as an after thought.

“Was this Max’s idea?” The reference to Max caught me off guard.

“What? No-. This was my idea… why?” I asked, obvious confusion in my voice.

“Oh! Never mind… I thought..." She let out a sigh, "sure Marc. Sure, I’d love to watch your game...”

I felt a smile break out over my face, “Great! Ok, great! Ummm… you wanna get something to eat first?” What the hell did I just say… The blood ran out of my face and I inhaled sharply… too much Marc… way too much.
Why did I even ask that?


“Well I actually can’t. I’m gonna have to work all day if I want to take the game off but, maybe after?”

“Yah, of course. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then… night.”

“Good night, Marc.” She sighed, but I could hear the smile in her voice.




I skated around in front of the net, scrapping my skates into the crease; getting the ice ready. I leaned back on the net once I was satisfied, and took a peek behind me.
Aberleigh was there, next to Dani, a binder opened up on her lap; I had to smile at that. She was sitting up with the girlfriends; the only one not giggling or carrying on. She had this incredible air about her, so professional all the time… there was something extremely charming about her.
As if reading my mind she looked up from her work and gave me a small wave. I could hardly contain my smile as I nodded back.

The game was great. We won 5-1; best of all, I felt ok. Not incredible, but ok; which was a big improvement from where I had been. It was the difference between playing for a pay-check and playing with a purpose. It wasn’t the same as playing for Vero; doing anything you could to make the love of your life happy, but it was nice to have someone there for me.
Before leaving the ice I turned around to see Aberleigh, a friendly smile across her face as she gave me the thumbs up; at least I had made her job easier tonight, I thought happily as I filled towards the dressing room.



“And look whose back!” Max chirped happily as I made my way into the dressing room.

“Good game man,” “Good game, Flower.” Came from all corners of the room.

“See the pretty little thing sitting in Vero’s seat?” Max said smugly, nudging Kennedy in the ribs. I felt my face fall, I let out a sigh and started to undress, trying to keep my mind away from the darkness. I’d give anything for Vero to be here right now…

I showered quickly and took the back way out of the dressing room, taking great care to avoid the lounge; the lounge Vero always waited for me in.
I headed down the hallway towards the parking lot - where I was meant to meet Aberleigh and Dani.
“Good to have you back, Marc.” Mario called as he passed me, on the way down from the box. I nodded in response.
Not back, no… never back, I turned the corner and saw the two girls waiting for me, but on the mend maybe… I thought silently as I headed towards my new friend.

2 comments:

  1. Great update! So glad to see MAF smile a little bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Flower. I'm grinning like a fool. And that's all I can say, because my brain is mush. :D

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete