Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blank Walls

“Ready...?” Abby asked as she stood up. She was my rock tonight; the anchor that was holding me into place, as the rest of the world spun out of control. I took one last look around the waiting room before I sighed softly and reached out for her hand. I followed her down the hallway, towards Kris’s room…
We passed two people who hugged us both; I couldn’t pay attention enough to even realize who they were - my mind was focused on the door ahead of me.
I paused outside of the room, only entering when Abby began to tug slightly on my hand.

I took one look at Kris, broken and battered, before I had to look away. He looked so young, so innocent, as he slept in the hospital bad; why did this happen to you buddy? I remembered what Max had said - drunk driver - and I felt hot tears pouring over my cheeks as Abby pulled me over to the two chairs beside the bed. This isn’t fair…
“Why you, Kris...?” Abby said quietly, as she reached out towards him; moving a piece of hair away from his face.
I watched Kris for a moment longer before my strength waned, and I began to sob uncontrollably; dropping my face into my hands. Abby’s arms came around me almost instantly and I turned into her, clutching onto her as I came undone.


The plane ride back to Pittsburgh, was the longest flight of my life. Normally I loved our road trips to Canada; but that feeling had been shifting as of late. I hated being away from Abby, for any length of time; and that, mixed with what had happened to Kris - made my need to get back all the stronger.
We had won our game against Toronto, but it was a subdued victory, one that no one truly celebrated. We were a team without a heart.


“Hey! Look who’s awake!” I shouted loudly - earning a look of disdain from a nearby nurse - as I followed Max into Kris’s room.

“Hey guys! Grats on the win…” He smiled weakly as he tried to sit up. Max held out his hand, signally for Kris to stay put.

“Would have been a lot better if you were there; they treating you alright in this place?” Max asked as he glanced around the room; an assortment of flowers, balloons and cards, covered every surface.

“Well enough… hey listen Marc, there might be a problem…” My eyes shot back to Kris as I took a step forward, looking around uselessly as I tried to discern a way to help him. “Not me!” He said quickly, holding out a hand. “Vero showed up here this morning, she was being pretty awful to Aberleigh… anyway… they had a talk in the cafeteria I guess, and… Abby didn’t come back…” He gave me an apologetic look as I exhaled loudly. I looked at the door and then back at Kris. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll catch up with you later… go fix this.” We smiled at each other as I turned and headed out the door.



A full day. We had been back for a full day, and I couldn’t get a hold of Abby at all. It was at the point where he brother was even starting to sound sorry for me.
“I’m sorry… she’s still in her room, she says she doesn’t want to talk to any of you guys… I’m sorry.” I thanked him before hanging up the phone. It’s not like I didn’t know that’s how it would go - she wasn’t even talking to Max, why would she talk to me?

I heard the front door click open, and I walked around the corner of the kitchen and out into the foyer; expecting to see Max. It was Vero.
She grinned at me as she closed the distance between us. “Get out.” I sighed, as she came to a halt in front of me. The grin fell off her face as she crossed her arms over her chest, staring at me.

“You need me Marc-Andre. I know you’re going through a hard time, but it’s okay… just let me be here for you.” I glanced behind her at the door. I promised Abby that I would get the lock changed; it had totally slipped my mind.

“What did you say to her?” I asked in a harsh tone, forcing her back a step with my glare.

“I just told her the truth! It’s obvious that you want me more Marc… you slept with me.” Vero was equally cross now, and she moved towards me; coming to stop an inch away.

“Did you tell her that?” When she didn’t answer I hung my head; how could I have forgotten about that?
It was painfully obvious now why Abby wouldn’t return my calls. At least now I knew; it was over. It was over, but I owed her an explanation. “Vero, I’m leaving now… I’m going to talk to Abby. You need to leave.”

She cocked her head and appraised me, confusion on her face. “Well, when you’re ready to talk… I’m at the Holiday Inn.” She walked away slowly, glancing back at me several times; as I stood frozen in place.

The sound of the door closing finally caused me to move, and I dashed off towards the kitchen. I dialed Max’s number into the phone. “Hey max… listen… I need your help!”

“Sure Flower, what’s up?”

“I need you to change the locks… Vero just came again and… I just… I need to prove to Abby that Vero and I are over. Could you come over while the guy does it?”

“Yah for sure… I’m on my way. You talk to her yet?”

I let out a disgruntled groan, “Not yet, I’m going over there now.”

“Good for you man. Hey, if she still won’t talk to you… you could probably get Kris to guilt her into it.”


I sat downstairs with Braeden for a long time, too long. Long enough that he was now trying to help me with Abby. “Alright…” I said after a few minutes of silence, “I’m going up.” I stood up and headed towards the stairs, Braeden followed me, watching from the bottom. “What?” I asked as I turned around and saw him grimacing. “Ok, it can’t be that bad… right?”
He wagged his eyebrows at me and shook his head sadly. Waving at me like he’d never see me again.

“Aberleigh.” I said clearly as I stood outside the door. It had been so long since I’d called her by that name, but right now, it felt like the most prudent thing to do.
I waited a minute for a response; none came. “Aberleigh… I know it’s over. I didn’t come here to try and convince you to change your mind or anything… I just, I just need to explain things to you. Please?” I sighed as I waited. The room on the other side of the door was almost silent; almost, except for the soft muffled sobs I could hear every now and then. “Aberleigh… please.”
I reached out and turned the handle on the door. It seemed futile, but to my surprise the knob turned, and the door clicked open.

I exhaled loudly as I pushed the door open. This wasn’t the room I was expecting; it wasn’t a bed room, but an office of sorts.
Aberleigh was sitting in a lounge chair, a picture in her hands. I crossed the room, timidly. I had nothing to say so I reached for the phone; dialing the number to Kris’s room.
I handed the phone over to her and she took it, avoiding my gaze as she began to mumble into the receiver.
I turned my back to her and paced around the far side of the room; trying to block out what she was saying and give her some privacy.
After a few minutes she raised her voice a tad, signalling that her conversation with Kris was over. "UGH! why can't you Penguins mind your own business! Fine! I'll talk to him!" She sounded angry as she hung up the phone, but at least she was saying something. “What do you want to explain Marc-Andre?”

I sighed as I took the seat next to her. I had spent so long trying to figure out how to get her to talk to me, that I hadn’t actually put any thought into what I was going to say if she did. “I don’t even know where to start…” I sighed honestly as I looked over at her. I could see pain and betrayal rimming her eyes; I wanted nothing more than to reach out and hold her, but I knew I couldn’t. “I’m sorry Abby… I’m sorry that I did that to you, I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you…” I shook my head and looked down, trying to think of a way to show how sorry I was.

“I want to believe you Marc, I do… but why wouldn’t you go back with her? I mean, she’s beautiful, she’s perfect, and you already have a history together… it just makes sense, it’s easiest…”

“But it’s not what I want Abby. I want you.” She sighed and started to shake her head; tears finally falling from her swollen eyes. “It’s true… Abby, you’re beautiful and you and I can make a history together…” I couldn’t hold off anymore, I got up and pulled her into my arms. She didn’t fight, but she didn’t hug me back. It didn’t matter; it was now or never. “Abby... I can't promise you that this is going to get easier. I can't even promise you that she's not going to come back around, or that we won't have to see her again.... but I can honestly say that I don't want to be with her... I'm not in love with her, Abby.
All I can promise you, is what I’m going to do from now on; and what I'm going to do is not let her come between us anymore…"

She let out a sob as I felt her lean into me more. “Yah... and how do you plan on doing that? She's done a good job so far, Marc..."

“Can you trust me enough, to come with me?” She pulled away and looked up at me, questions flashing behind her eyes. I allowed her a moment of inner turmoil before she nodded, allowing me to pull her behind me.



“What are we doing here?” She asked as I ushered her through the front doors and up to the receptionist.

“Hi, I’m wondering what room Vero Larosse is in?” I knew that under normal circumstances the front desk would never give out information like this; but the girl behind the desk batted her lashes at me, and I knew she knew who I was.

“Marc, why are you doing this to me? Why would you take me here?” I ignored Abby as I followed the hallway down to room 215. “Marc no… no!”

I slammed my hand against the door, hard. I could hear Vero talking to another woman, before getting up and making her way across the room. She pulled the door open, giving me a huge smile before realizing that Abby was beside me. Her face fell and she started to close the door, but I stopped her, holding it open with me hand.
Vero walked back into the room and I motioned for Abby to follow. Vero had plunked herself down on the far bed, beside TK’s girlfriend - Crap, why can’t I remember her name?

“Alright so…” I glanced over at the girl on the bed and she looked at Vero. She looked back at me and got up slowly, excusing herself before leaving the room; I watched the door close behind her before I continued. “We need to figure something out here… and we need to do it now.”
I looked at Vero and Abby, they were both sitting with their arms folding, looking in opposite directions. “Vero… I’m sorry that you’re miserable, but this isn’t my fault. You left…but that’s over and done now. I’ve moved on with my life and you need to do that same. I love you… you were my best friend for the longest time, but I’m not in love with you anymore. We aren’t together, and we won’t even be together… you need to accept that.
Abby, I’m sorry that you got brought into this… I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you the truth, and that I hurt you like that… I can’t stand here and tell you how I’m going to make this right, but if you stick around I’ll put everything into finding a way.”

“I’m not going to sit here and listen to-”

“Yes you are.” I shot at Vero, I could feel myself getting heated. “I don’t deserve this Vero… I don’t deserve to have you continuously fucking around with my life. I didn’t do anything to you… when we were together I gave you everything. You left and that was your decision. So here’s what’s going to happen.” I looked at both girls and saw that I had their attention; I assumed it was the fact that I was starting to curse - I normally didn’t. “You can either be in my life, as a friend, or not at all. I’m gonna spend a very long time trying to convince Abby to stay with me; and if it works… you will not ever say anything mean or hurtful to her again; and you will not just show up anymore… that‘s not your house anymore.” I stared at her as she squirmed around uncomfortably, finally looking up at me.

“Marc-Andre, est-que nous pourrions être ensemble? Encore… please?”

“Non…” I said it softly, I could see the pain that I had caused Vero etched all over her face as she watched me.

“Je t’adore…” I nodded my head, I knew she still loved me, but there was nothing I could do about that anymore.

I knew it was going to hurt her, but I had to make her understand. “Abby est mon monde entier.” Vero looked away from me, over at Abby; then she nodded slowly.

“Je suis desole.” I nodded again, smiling at her as I walked towards Abby, pulling her up beside me.

“You’re going to be ok Vero, you know that right?” She gave me a weak smile as we headed to the door.


We were halfway to my house before she realized where we were. “Marc… shouldn’t you be taking me home?” I shook my head and gave her a grin. I watched as she fought against her mouth; trying to keep the frown on her face.

“Remember… I’m suppose to be making this up to you…”

“I never said that I was going to take you back.” The smile fell off my face as I glanced over at her. Her cheeks were full of colour and I knew she was messing with me; mostly. I sighed and continued to drive towards my house.

She followed me up the walkway as I headed towards the door. I tried the doorknob, but it was locked; Max must have left… I pulled out my key and then I realized; I didn’t have a key to my house. “Well, shit…”

“What?”

“I’m locked out…”

She started to laugh, “Marc, your key is right there, I can see it.”

I shook my head as I pulled out my phone. “No, I had the locks changed today… Max is the only one with the key now.” I waited for him to answer. “Hey man! Yah, I need a key to my house…”

“Oh… shit. I’ll be there in a few.” I sighed and hung up, taking a seat on the step. Abby sat down next to me, a few inches away.
I knew I was pushing my luck, but I reached out and pulled her towards me anyway; feeling victorious as she laid her head down on my shoulder.


Max arrived after twenty minutes, laughing as he let me into my house. I held out my hand for the keys and he handed one to me, one to Abby and dangled the one on his key-chain at me. “What makes you think that I’m going to trust you with a key to my house?”

“I never said you were…just letting you know that I have one now!” He laughed as he ran back towards the car. “You guys have fun tonight, I’m jealous… make-up sex is the best!” I groaned as I turned and followed Abby into the house.

She was clearly exhausted; and I could tell she had a lot on her mind. These were the only reasons I was able to lead her to my bedroom and convince her to stay the night.
As soon as I hit the hallway I realized that something was missing. Apparently Max had redecorated too; removing every picture of Vero from my house - leaving virtually none. I looked behind me at Abby, who was looking around; obviously she had noticed too. “Redecorating?”

“Umm… yah. I was actually thinking of redoing the house… interested in helping out? I kind of suck at style, and matching… and… shopping in general…” She let out a quiet chuckle as she flopped down on my bed.

“I’ll be right back…” She nodded as I left the room, pulling my cell phone out as I did so. “Good time redecorating?” I asked Max as soon as he answered.

He let out a huge laugh before saying anything. “Yah, Jordie and I took ‘em all down… there’s like 4 boxes in the downstairs hallway. Jordan says ‘don’t take as many pictures of this girlfriend… it’s just plain creepy‘…. Seriously though, I just didn‘t want Abbs to have to look at them anymore…”

“No, I get that. Thanks man…” I sighed as I hung up.

I walked back into my room to find Abby staring at the almost empty wall. “It’s so blank now…” I followed her gaze and nodded. It was pretty empty.

“We’ll just have to fill them up again…” I said softly, watching for her reaction. She looked over at me, and I could see the tears falling liberally. “Abbs…” I moaned as I crossed the room and crawled onto the bed beside her. “I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry that I-” She cut me off with her lips.

Her hands wrapped around the back of my neck as I repositioned myself on top of her. We left of where we had started the night of the banquet. My breathing was heavy and I could hardly stop myself from pulling her clothes of; piece by piece.
Maybe it was my own punishment; but I pulled myself off of her, falling onto my back as I tried to catch my breath and keep my pants on.

After my body had cooled off a bit I pulled myself back up to her, kissing her jaw line gently. “What do we do now?” She asked suddenly, turning until she was eye to eye with me.

“Maintenant je tombe amoureux de vous…” I said in a husky whisper.

She cocked her head to the side as she appraised my grin. I knew that she couldn’t understand me, and I was thankful for that. “What does that mean?”

“I’ll show you…” I sighed softly, as I brought my lips down to her again.

4 comments:

  1. "So here’s what’s going to happen."--Okay that was uberhot. MAF getting all take-charge. It just got really warm in here.

    “I never said you were…just letting you know that I have one now!”-- BUAHAHA!!! That was great. Oh Max, what are we going to do with you? And I love that he gave one to Abby. LOVE IT.

    And the last line... perfection. Oh man, it doesn't get better than this. Seriously, loved every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Maintenant je tombe amoureux de vous" AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Seriously. I got all 'swoony'.

    And Marc confronting Vero. HOT. I just don't see him as a confrontational kind, and that was just... yeah. heh. LOVED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was totally amazing. I know it's not a productive comment, but it's just true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, awesome update!! So glad that MAF talked to Vero in front of Abby! And Max is too cute and sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete