Thursday, September 24, 2009

This Devil Wears Stella McCartney

Aberleigh-

My eyes snapped open at the sound of the doorbell piercing through the house. I stole a quick glance at Marc, sleeping soundly next to me. My breath caught at how gorgeous he looked. Like he doesn't have a single care in the world. I kissed his forehead gently; the doorbell rang again, pulling me from the room and down the stairs to pull the door open... and revealed...

“Kris!” I yelled throwing the door open wider, pulling him into a tight hug before ushering him into the house. “When were you released?”

“Just this morning... I had Sid drop me off here. He said he'd come and pick me up on his way to practice.” He chuckled pointing at me with his cane as I motioned for him to sit at the table with me. “I might not be able to play. But I want to be back in the arena.”

“That's awesome!” I smiled brightly patting his hand gently.

“So... you and Marc are good now?” I blushed softly before shrugging. “C'mon, Abby. You can't hide anything very well... You talked?” I nodded studying my fingernails intently. “And...?”

“And... Marc dragged me to Vero's hotel room to 'talk' to us.” I sighed softly as his eyes doubled in size.

“How did that go?” I shook my head laughing gently. These boys were worse than women.

“Alright...” I shrugged. “I mean... I thought he was breaking up with me at first... I couldn't figure out why he was going to do it in front of her...” Kris chuckled at me shaking his head. “I figured he was using it as a way to get her back..” I glanced back down studying my hands.

“You know better now, I'm sure. He's got it pretty bad for you...” I sighed resting my chin in my hands.

“I know... I mean... I guess...” Kris raised a questioning eye brow at me. “God, Kris, it's just too unbelievable. Why would he want me? It doesn't make sense. Sometimes...” I sighed... returning to picking at my fingernails, “I think he just feels sorry for me...” This time it was Kris who reached out and took my hand.

“Abby, you know that's not true. Marc's in love with you, trust me. He might not have said it yet, but he doesn't have to. As far as Flower's concerned, the sun rises and sets on you.” I sighed deeply, and unconvinced. If I haven't run him off yet... My family, I'm sure, will. Kris glanced down at his watch before pushing his chair away from the table. “I've got to get going... Tell Flower I stopped by.” I smiled brightly rising next to him.

“I will.” We started walking back to the door as I remembered what I had wanted to ask him from before. “Oh Kris! One more thing... I've been meaning to ask you this. That day at the hotel with Vero; Marc said something about me, I was wondering if you could translate it for me?” He stopped slowly, nodding his head in confusion. “He said Abby est mon monde entier maintenant... or something like that...” I mumbled as he chuckled at me. “Do you know what that means?”

“Yah.. he said that to Vero?” I nodded as he shook his head. Was it that horrible? “It means...” I released a deep breath in preparation. “Abby is my whole world now...” I almost chocked on my own breath at his revelation. Seriously? He... he said that? I gave him a hug in goodbye and thanks as Sid honked his horn from the driveway. Lost in my thoughts, I turned to head up the stairs and almost ran head first into Marc.

“Eavesdropping much?” I blushed as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Nosy much?” He grinned as I buried my face into his chest, inhaling his scent. This was my happy place. All my thoughts drained letting me feel the full force of the love I felt for him. Holy cupid, Batman! I loved him! “So... I have to go to practice, but then we'll head out for New York?” I nodded gently, not moving. “Alright... Braeden's meeting us here?” Again, I nodded as he walked us the rest of the way up the stairs to grab his gear. “Or... I could skip practice...” I looked up at him to see a gleam in his eyes.

“Marc...” I sighed, smiling brightly, “as much as I would love for you to stay home... Coach Bylsma would kill me. Go to practice.” I let him go slowly as he went to get his bag before coming back for a goodbye kiss. “Go... before I change my mind!” He laughed as I waved goodbye to him from the stairs.



A few hours later I had been home and packed my things, and brought my bag back to the house, placing it at the doorway. I was standing in the kitchen, cooking, as I heard the front door crash open and Max groaning as he flopped onto the couch. Marc ignored his friend as he came straight into the kitchen.

“Mmmm.. What are you making?” He whispered into my hair as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Chicken rotini marinara.” I smiled as he nibbled gently on my neck. “There's enough for Max too...” I chuckled as Max's head sudden appeared around the corner.

“Did someone mention food?” He grinned sitting himself at the table, causing both Marc and I to grin at each other, as he made his own way to another chair. I dished two heaping platefuls, setting them on the table in front of the boys.

“Not hungry, Abbs?” Max asked around the food he was shoveling into his mouth.

“I ate earlier...” I shrugged watching them as I leaned against the counter. My mother would be so proud...

I took the plates to wash them and the boys went into the living room. I could hear Max groan loudly and Marc trying to get him to leave as his own bag hit the ground next to mine. After yet another groan I finally caved heading into the living room.

“Alright, Max... What's wrong?” He stared at me from under his arm.

“Do you have any idea what your boyfriend did to me today!? Slapped in the face by a blocker, slap shots to the stomach, tripped! I became the teams punching bag!” Shocked I turned to Marc. He did that? He met my gaze with a satisfied look on his face.

“I told them about Max's little barge in last night... apparently Sidney, Bill and Gonch decided he needed to be taught some manners...” I blushed softly, nervously laughing at him.

“Well...” my smiled grew slowly, “serves you right.”

“Et tu, Abby?” Max sighed emphatically.

“Yes, Max... Now get out.” I laughed as he groaned loudly. “You'll get no sympathy here.” Marc laughed with me as Max exaggerated his limp out the door just as Braeden came through.

“What's his problem?” Brae asked, jerking his thumb back at Max.

“Nothing a little TLC wouldn't cure...” Marc shrugged easily, heading towards the door with a couple of bags. Braeden gave me a look of confusion as I too shrugged and move to follow Marc out with the rest of our bags.



The trip to New York went better than I expected. Braeden and Marc were getting along famously. Chatting easily back and forth about hockey, how it felt to win the cup last season, and tonight's game. I felt bad taking up the front seat as I stared silently out of the window. It was better for me to stay silent. Every time I spoke, I just snapped at one of them.

Once we were finally in the locker room Marc and I found ourselves trapped in a tight embrace, neither letting go any time soon.

“Alright well... I'll see you after the game, ok babe?” I smiled into his kiss, never wanting to leave this position. I finally reluctantly let go of Marc before following my brother down the hall.

“Hey Marc!” Braeden yelled back at him. What the hell was he doing? “You gonna show Abby how you can spin like a ballerina?”

“What's he talking about?” I called back loudly as Marc chuckled and shook his head.



The game was entertaining. I forgot how much I loved watching Marc play live. It was so much better then sitting in my office. Or living room now I suppose. With 2 minutes left in the game Braeden nudged me swiftly and pointed up at the Jumbo-Tron. I glanced up quickly to see the two of us surrounded by a heart. Kiss cam? With my brother??? Oh good Lord! I shrieked as he grabbed my face licking it.

“Braeden you jackass!” I laughed hysterically, before turning my attention back to the ice, and Marc. Who was now watching us intently. I smiled brightly and waved as I saw him shake his head slowly. Ok then... Don't wave... My eyes widened as I watched him skate a short ways away from the net and spin 360degrees. I looked at Braeden in complete shock before cracking up along with him, while the crowd cheered loudly. What the hell was that?





I blocked out my brother's blabber as we headed the hour upstate after the game. Turn around, Marc... Just turn around... Say we got lost, and some how ended up in Ontario... I slightly prayed as I sighed into the dark, starry sky. I closed my eyes tightly as I knew my parents house would be coming into focus. The last thing I wanted to do is see my prison before I was stuck there.

“This is your house?” I barely heard Marc as I felt Braeden lean forward in his seat.

“Home sweet home!” He chirped, hoping out as soon as the car stopped.

“You alright, babe?” My eyes shot open as I turned to face Marc, nodding slowly. “Hey...” He took my hand in his before kissing it gently, causing a small smile to grace my face. “It's gonna be ok... I promise...” He was so cute... Promising me a good weekend. I sighed deeply giving him the best smile I could muster under the circumstances. Oh if he only knew... We both climbed out of the car together and headed towards the house. I took deep regulated breaths as I walked up the steps to the door. I heard Marc say something but I couldn't concentrate on the words. I reached for the door knob, jumping back as I heard it being swung open from the inside.

“You must be Marc!” My mother's voice flooded the air around me. Was I this bad... that I had to deal with her straight off? “I've heard so much about you!” My eyes widened in shock as I watched my mother pull my boyfriend into a tight embrace.

“You must be Abby's mother...” Marc spoke softly, “it's a pleasure to finally meet you.” She tittered softly. Here comes socialite mother... She took Marc's arm and began to lead him inside.

“So Marc... tell us everything...” I sighed deeply walking in behind them waiting for her scornful eyes to find me. “Oh Aberleigh...” She sighed disappointedly. She found me... “Just because you have a boyfriend doesn't mean you should let yourself go like that! What have you been eating?” I knew she'd notice! I can't believe I let her see me like this... I shrunk slightly under her glare. I felt Marc staring at me and I offered him a small, sheepish smile as he took my hand, looking at me in concern. Please... Please god... Let this weekend go relatively ok. I sighed as my mother prattled on in front of us.

“Princess!” A deep male voice called out to my left. I stopped dead in my tracks, dropped Marc's hand, and turned quickly.

“Daddy!” I squealed running full force into his arms. I felt like I was 9 again, safely wrapped in his arms as he rested his cheek on the top of my head.

“How's work, Princess?” He pulled me away from him as I bit my lip gently.

“I quit, Daddy...” He frowned, disappointed. “But... I'm thinking of starting my own company. A small PR firm... Specializing in anything but sports.” He chuckled looking over at Marc, who was still standing in the middle of the hallway. “Oh, Daddy...” I smiled pulling him back over to Marc.

“This is my boyfriend. Marc-Andre Fleury. Marc... This is my father, James Michaels.” Marc held his hand out for my dad and they shook hands heartily.

“So, Marc... What do you do for a living?” I rolled my eyes at my dad, knowing full well he knew what Marc did. I slid my arms through the arms of my two favourite men in the world continuing on the silent tour of our house.

“I play hockey for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Sir...” I turned my face up to my dad's as he nodded thoughtfully. It didn't matter what you did to Daddy... as long as you can keep his baby safe and happy.

“And your parents?” I sent a shocked look towards Marc. We'd never talked about what our parents did... Oh god Daddy... Please don't wreck this for me!

“Well, sir... my father is a carpenter and my mother's a teacher.” Marc spoke proudly of his parents, causing me to lean over and kiss his shoulder gently, rolling my eyes as Daddy harrumphed.

“Daddy... I want to take Marc to meet Lucy and Emma.” He nodded as I tip-toed up to kiss his cheek gently before taking Marc's hand and pulling him out of harms way.

“You have sisters to?” Marc questioned as I pulled him through two large double doors. I glance back at him looking confused. Sisters?

“No... Just Braeden..” I sniffed the air as I crossed into the kitchen to find Lucy at the small table polishing silver and Emma... My dear sweet, Emma, pulling freshly baked oatmeal cookies.

“Miss Aberleigh!” Lucy called, setting her silver down and racing to envelope me in a tight hug.

“Oh, LUCY!” I cried into her shoulder. Emma shoo'd her away quickly as she took her turn to fold me into her arms. I breathed in the small black woman's scent. Always like butter cream and brown sugar. I finally pulled away from them turning back to the abandoned Marc. “Marc... This is Lucy, our head maid, and Emma... our cook.” I smiled as he nodded politely at them. Lucy simply shook her head grinning from ear to ear as she pulled him into a giant hug.

“It's good to finally meet a man that puts that kind of smile on Miss Aberleigh's face.” I blushed deeply as she let go of him so Emma could take her turn.

After mere minutes in the kitchen Emma shoo'd us into the dinning room so dinner could start.

I walked into the large formal room, dreading what would come. Generally I'd hide from dinner and spend my time with Emma and Lucy before heading up to the library with Daddy, today... no such luck.

I took my seat to Daddy's right, Marc next to me, Mum at the other end of the table and Braeden on mum's right. Before Lucy could turn to bring us our meals my mother turned to her, holding up her perfectly manicured hand.

“Oh, Lucy, please be sure to bring the plate I set aside for Aberleigh. Thank you.” My eyes welled with tears, willing them desperately not to fall. I quickly pinched Marc's arms as he looked like he was going to say something. He turned to me abruptly as I shook my head at him.

Lucy brought everyone's plates out, the three boys' plates heaped full of delicious smelling food, my mother's with one slice of beef and a salad. Mine? A salad. A small salad. I sighed deeply pushing my lettuce around my plate. As if I had an appetite after that...

2 comments:

  1. I love this, and I think her mother is sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great update! Her mom is such a little witch!!!

    ReplyDelete