Monday, September 7, 2009

What am I doing?

I sat in my office listening to the game on the radio. I didn't have any major catastrophes to contend with, just tying up loose ends here and there. It was the end of the second period and the commentators were getting anxious.

"Those Penguins are going to have to come with a great excuse to keep Fleury. I'm still saying, once a goalie goes south.... Bye bye Stanley."

Stupid commentators. What did they know? I grumbled to my self, switching off the radio and grabbing my notes off my desk before heading towards Mr. Lemieux's office, hoping that he was there to discuss the situation. As I walked up I saw Marc-Andre turning to leave. Even better.

"Mr. Fleury!" I yelled at him, finally seeing him turn towards me, a half-look of recognition on his face.

"Umm.. hey.. again.." He stammered looking everywhere but me. He couldn't remember my name. Usually that'd piss me off, but the guy just lost the love of his life. It was forgivable. Once.

"Aberleigh, Aberleigh Michaels." I smiled handing him my name so he didn't have to search for it.

"Yah, of course. We met the other night." I nodded briskly and motioned for him to follow me as I headed back towards my office.

"Sorry about taking off like that, I had to get Dani home." I gave a quick explanation about my disappearance as we came close to our destination. I didn't hear the exact words he said, but I did hear confusion in his voice about what I was talking about. "Oh, we were supposed to go eat.." I cursed myself as I could feel the heat of a blush rise to my cheeks. Why was I blushing? Sure, he was cute... Woah, Abbs... Back that thought right out of here. I shook my head gently to clear it.

"No worries, I had to leave too." He softly responded, I turned to smile over my shoulder at him. Serves Max right, trying to play matchmaker. I motioned for him to sit as we entered my office and I took my seat in front of my computer.

"Alright, so... We need to make a statement about... your... um.." I looked up at him apologetically. How do I put this diplomatically.....

"The shitty way I've been playing, you mean?" He finished for me, chuckling. He was obviously amused by my embarrassment. I moved my attention back to my computer and checked my email. Anything to take my attention away from this adorable man in front of me.

"Basically, you need to make a statement to the press. They've been waiting for once since..." Again, trouble with the diplomacy here! "the incident... and now Mario feels that after the past two games... we can't put it off any longer." I sighed as I watched him cringe over the situation he was now in. I watched him closely as he asked me what I wanted him to say. The poor man was very obviously still in a lot of pain. This woman must have meant the world to him. How could anyone compete with that? "Marc-Andre, I know this is difficult for you, but I promis it will get easier once you make this speech. The media will back off, and you... you can go back to healing." I stopped and watched him again. He looked so small. Even in my uncomfortable office chairs. I delicately reached over and gave his hand a pat, just to say hey.. I get it. It's ok to hurt. I retracted it just as quickly as he flinched against my touch. I bit back a sigh before moving to my computer and started to type. What else could I do?

I heard his voice catch in his thoart and he cleared it before he uttered a barely audible apology. I nodded briskly, business Aberleigh was back. Who needed a wounded puppy anyways?

I finished typing and hit print before crossing the room to get the print out. Sitting back down, I slid the sheet of paper towards him on my desk.

"If there's anything in there you're not ok with, I can change it. Just read it over and let me know." Now I waited. For a reaction, for a sign that there was no way he could do this. That he needed someone to pick him up off the ground. I sighed softly as his face ran through all of the emotions of grief.

"That's fine..." He announced. I could hear the tears rising in his voice. I smiled sadly and rose from my desk to give him a little privacy and me a lot of air. I moved out side of my office and slid against the now closed door, where I could hear Marc-Andres's sobs as they probably rocked his body.

I sighed agains the simple, clean smell that came off of him, at the wounded look in his eyes. At the pain that seemed to stay there. Oh God... I was in a whole heap of trouble.

I sat there for what felt like hours, but really was just over fifteen minutes. I sat there until a figure started down the hallway. Max. Crap.

"Mario sent me up looking for Flower." He announced as I scrambled to my feet.

"He needed some time." I whispered, not trusting my voice to be any louder. I cursed myself under my breath as my cheeks warmed again.

"Yah?" He asked studying me closely.

"Yah... He's having a rough time with this." I smiled sheepishly before opening my office door, finding Marc-Andre wiping the tears away. "Are you ready, Marc-Andre?" He nodded tentatively and stood smiling sadly as I motioned for him to come with me.

Max stayed pace with me as I tried desparately to push any thoughts of a certain goaltender out of my head. Marc-Andre followed a short distance behind.

We reached the conference room and I stopped the boys before stepping up to the podium.

"In light of today's occurance, Marc-Andre Fleury would like to address the press. We ask that no questions be asked at this point, those will be dealt with at a later time." I nodded and stepped off the podium, before incouraging Marc-Andre up there. I stood back and studied him as he nervously cleared his thoart, clutching onto the speech like it was a life saver.

"You like him don't you?" A voice cooed in my ear. I turned quickly to see Max grinning at me.

"No!" I hissed. "I feel bad for him. I mean... Look.. He looks so lost up there. Like a little kid, who's mum took off with out him." I sighed as Max chuckled and Marc-Andre stumbled over my words, trying to keep it together.

"I can't believe it! You really, truly like him! Oh god, this is too easy!"

"Max, leave it alone!" I warned turning on him. "The last this he needs right now is you playing cupid. Let him recover. In peace!" I turned back to see Marc-Andre finish off the release, and the hounds zeroed in. He stopped and looked over at me for direction. I easily stepped up next to him, trying not to breathe in the delicious clean smell and address the crowd.

"Thank you, all. We will present at time for questions at a later date. Goodnight." I smiled and ushered Marc-Andre off the stage. As soon as we were out of the room I moved to head back to my office so I could go home and clear my head of him. I was stopped by a light touch on my arm. I turned slowly expecting Max, but finding Marc-Andre standing there.

"Thank you," he whispered softly. I smiled genuinely.

"Anytime, Marc-Andre. Anytime." He nodded and headed towards the dressing room, leaving me standing there, watching after him. What ever was I going to do....

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I smell something in the air...

    A romance brewing?

    ReplyDelete