Sunday, September 27, 2009

Present Confusion

“Ok Dad… please, please, please don’t say anything about Vero! Please!” I stood in the middle of the airport, pulling my hat down lower over my face. Normally I didn’t mind being recognized, but I really just wanted to get Abby and get home; it’d been too long since I saw her.

“I heard you the first forty times Marc! I won’t say anything…” I sighed, hoping that he wouldn’t; but being tactful was never one of my father’s strong points. I glanced around the airport, again; finally seeing Abby through the throng of people.

“Abby!” I waved from the edge of the crowd, catching her eye before taking off towards her. I pulled her into a tight hug, bringing my lips down to hers.

“Marc… your parents are right there…” She turned her lips from me, offering her cheek instead.

“It's alright...” Dad said, as mom and him made their way over to us. “We are used to Marc's public displays of affection. Kissing Vero anywhere in the house. Not caring who was around.” I groaned, feeling the colour rising in my face, while Abby let out a nervous chuckle. Thanks dad, that’s just great. Not like I asked you to avoid doing that or anything… “You must be Abby.” He held out his hand for Abby to shake, before making the introductions.

“It's a pleasure to meet you both.” Abby said sincerely as my mother pulled her towards her, kissing both of her cheeks.

I shook my head and grabbed Abby‘s hand. “Can we go home now?” My father nodded and heading back towards the car; Abby and I in tow.



“Oh no! You should have seen him! I remember this one time, he was suppose to be helping Vero with-”

“Ok… that’s enough! Why don’t we talk about something else for a bit? Something that doesn’t involve embarrassing stories about me… your rich son… that buys you nice things…” I tried to make the last part a playful threat, but it just caused Abby and my parents to laugh even harder.
I let out a groan and got up from the couch. This was definitely going alot better than my visit with Abby’s family. She seemed comfortable, and I could tell that mom and dad were sold - Mary, well, she was going to be a bit more difficult.
At that thought I set my empty hot-chocolate mug on the kitchen counter and headed down the hall into Mary’s room. “Hey…” I said to her back as she typed away on her laptop.

“What do you want?”

“Mary… come on. I’m hardly ever home… don’t you think you could-”

“No!” She snapped, turning around to face me. “I couldn’t. I don’t want to. Just because you’re so ready to forget about everything that ever happened before she came into the picture; doesn’t mean that I am.” She turned back around, huffing.
I sighed and walked into her room, pulling the door closed behind me.

“Mary. I know that you’re upset, but it’s my life. Don’t you want me to be happy?”

“You were happy with Vero…”

“Key word being ‘were’… past-tense. I was happy with Vero, now I’m happy with Abby, very happy with Abby.” I stood still for a moment, waiting for her to say something. When she didn’t, I continued; “Marylene… please, for me? At least give her a chance… she’s wonderful. I promise that you’ll love her just like I do, but you have to give her a chance first.”

I watched her shoulders slump at my words. “Fine, but only for you. I’m not going out there to be friends with her…” I smiled as she got up, pulling her into a bear hug before leading her out towards the living room.




“Alright well, I already tossed your stuff in Marc’s room-” My dad started to say to Abby as my mom cut him off.

“Andre! I’m sure she’d rather have her own room…” My mom glared at my father, as if he was doing something completely ridiculous. I knew she wasn’t worried about me, she was most likely concerned about Abby’s well being; I chuckled at the thought - this from the woman who thinks Maxime Talbot is the most respectable man going…

“Oh come on France! It’s not like he wasn’t sneaking out to sleep in Vero’s room since he was 9! If you’re afraid this girl’s going to de-flower your little boy, I think you’re too late!”

“Dad…” I groaned, smacking my hand to my forehead, could this get anymore awkward? I grabbed Abby’s hand and lead her down the darkened hallway to my room, where the answer to my question awaited me; yes, yes it could.

Shit! I sighed to myself as I flicked on the light switch; I had forgotten all about the pictures in my room.
Vero was everywhere. There were pictures of her on the wall, the bedside table, the bulletin board above my desk, and several on my mirror; squeezed in under the wood. “Abby… I’m so sorry… I haven’t been here since-”

“It’s fine Marc! I know she was a big part of your life, don’t worry about it, ok?” I sighed as I turned around to look at her. I could tell she was upset; maybe not at me, but at the situation for sure. I nodded slightly as I lead her over to the bed.
As soon as she was seated I started pulling pictures down. “Marc-” She started but I cut her off as I tossed a few into the empty trashcan.

“No Abby… you say you’re fine, I respect that. But I’m not sleeping in a room covered in pictures of my ex-girlfriend. Even if you weren’t here, I would still be taking them down. Alright?” She sighed softly as she watched me, a slight smile threatening the corner of her soft lips.

She laid back as she watched me work; by the time I was done, my walls were empty. I flopped down beside her and nuzzled my face into her neck. “You know who’s not here right now…?” I asked softly. She turned her face to look down at me, giving me a questioning glance. “Max…” I smiled slightly, “and you know what that means?”
She let out a giggle as I started to roll over onto her.

“Marc! You’re parents and your sister-” She started to protest but it was too late; I was already fully on top of her, my lips pressing hard against hers.
I felt her give in easily, wrapping her arms around my neck as my tongue found it’s way into her mouth.
I started to push my luck, pushing myself down on her and manoeuvring my way in between her thighs. “Marc…” She sighed, pulling me back into the reality of the situation. I pulled back from her and gave her my best ’puppy-dog’ face; earning a laugh. “I know… I just… don’t want them to hate me. I think they might actually approve of me.” She said slyly, giving me a peak on the lips before sliding out from underneath me.

I sighed, sitting up to pull my shirt off. I knew she was right; whenever we finally had sex - I wanted it to be anything but quiet. As liberal as my parents were when it came to pre-marital sex, they probably wouldn’t appreciate it if it happened while they were home.
I took of my pants and crawled in under the covers; snuggling up against Abby, hoping she wouldn’t be too pissed about getting an erection in the back. Totally not my fault… I smiled smugly as she let out a small sigh.
“Goodnight baby…” I whispered into her hair, inhaling her scent as I did so.



I woke up at 5AM. Sure it’s early, but it’s Christmas! The thought sent a spasm of excitement through my body as I propelled myself out of bed and took off down the hallway.
Even though I was expecting to see presents, I was still giddy when I did. I dove over the couch and started digging through the brightly wrapped packages; “This is awesome!” I yelled at no one in particular as I started to sort out a pile with my name on them.


“Hey Abby! … Abby!” I shook her gently, until she opened her eyes. She stared at me for a second before sitting up and looking around the room.

“What time is it?” She asked slowly, letting out a yawn.

I grinned at how cute she was, exhausted and vulnerable. “Umm… I don’t know… it’s probably 6AM by now!” I couldn’t keep the excitement out of my voice and she laughed.

By now? How long have you been up for?”

“5... Let’s go… presents!” I jumped off the bed and headed into Mary’s room; pouncing on her and shocking her awake.

“Ugh! Marc… get off!” Her muffled voice cried out from under the comforter.

“Christmas!” I reminded her, and that was all it took; minutes later we were both running down the hall and into my parents room.


Abby was laughing at me when I came into the living room. I plopped down beside her on the couch and chuckled. “What can I say? I love Christmas…” She shook her head and kissed me gently, pulling away as soon as Mary came in.
We shifted through the gifts quickly; Mary - like always - getting the bulk of the presents.
I felt bad for Abby, it never even occurred to me that she wouldn’t have as much as the rest of us. So far she had only received a sweater from mom and dad… but I was going to change that soon.

“Ready for your gifts?” Abby asked me, as I pulled her closer to me on the couch.

“Gifts? As in multiple?” She laughed at how excited I sounded, before pulling a card and two small packages out from beside her.

“This one first.” She said, grinning as she handed me a heavy green package. I held it up to my ear and shook it. I unwrapped it quickly and began to laugh loudly as I read the box.

“A deadbolt? I don’t think Max will be to happy about this!” The idea behind the gift - that Abby wanted me physically - caused a huge grin to spread across my face. Suddenly I wanted Christmas to be over. Now.
Nothing sounded better than being at home, in bed, protected behind the safety of a deadbolt.

She handed me the next package and again I shook it. It wasn’t as heavy as the deadbolt; but it was in the same size box. Unable to control the urge I started to tear at the paper; feeling my eyes widen as I pulled a watch out of the box.
I was not the type of guy that ever wore expensive things. The only accessory that I ever wore was my old beat up watch from Wal-Mart; that I bought 3 or 4 years ago.
I looked at the sleek, silver watch that I now held in my hands. It was perfect. I could feel the quality as I traced my thumb around the square perimeter; I would never buy something this elaborate for myself, but as it was, I couldn’t wait to put it on.
I undid the packaging and slipped it on over my hand, letting it come to rest on my wrist. I closed the claps and flipped my wrist around, smiling as I felt how good it fit. I grinned up at Aberleigh who was watching me, worried. I pulled her against me and brought my lips down to hers, kissing her without abandon. She pulled away and giggled slightly, looking over at my parents, blushing.
My mother was grinning at us and my father was flipping through one of his new biographies.

I smiled back at Aberleigh, encouragingly. “Thank you Abby… for both of them…” I kissed her forehead as she began to laugh.

“You didn’t even open your big present yet!” I let out a yell of excitement as she handed me the card on her lap.

I ripped the card open, wondering what ’big present’ could be in a card. Holy shit! “But… this… wow! Abby!” I threw my arms around her, kissing her again. “France?! We’re going to France? I’ve always wanted to go there!”

“I remember you saying something about it once… I figured… it’d make for a nice vacation.” I nodded in agreement, before pulling away.

“Ready for your gifts now?” Abby smiled and nodded; excitement truly crossing her face for the first time that morning.

“Alright… first off… here!” I passed her long thing blue, Tiffany’s box. I watched her index finger lightly trace the writing on top as a smile spread across her face. She pulled off the top of the box and let out a gasp.

“Oh Marc…” She sighed softly, placing a hand in front of her mouth as she stared down at the pendent.

“I wasn’t sure if you’d like it… Sidney helped me pick it out; it’s a flower… get it?” She started to laugh and slowly shook her head, her brown hair cascading down around her shoulders.

“Will you put it on?” I nodded and pulled the thin chain out of the box. Abby piled her hair up on top of her head, allowing me to clasp the chain behind her neck. I planted a gently kiss just above the chain before she let her hair fall back down. She fingered the flower pendent gently as she stared at it; I was ecstatic that she seemed to enjoy it.

“Ready for this one?” She smiled up at me, extending her hand for the envelope I held out. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder as she pulled out the card, and I glanced at my writing over her shoulder:

Abby,

Like most people, when I was younger I use to dream about the girl that I would have in my life; I always hoped that she would be beautiful and kind. Loving and loyal. But never in a million years could I have dreamed of someone like you: someone so perfect in everyway that it defies understanding. That I could be so blessed, to me, is incomprehensible. No one could be so perfect, and yet somehow, here you are.

It is, this Christmas, both one of the happiest and saddest of my life; simply because I have you and yet cannot spend as much time with you as I want.
Know however, that you are always in my mind and in my heart.

Merry Christmas,

Marc


I watched her gentle eyes fill up with tears as she read over the card in her hands. I hoped that it wasn’t the wrong thing to say… everything with Abby seemed so clear, so easy; but when it came to words, it was always so hard. I knew what I needed to say, but I was always scared to say it.

She finally put the card down, giving me a weak smile as she pulled the other contents of the envelope out. Squealing she threw her arms around my neck, sobbing. “I’m sorry… I just…” She took a deep breath, whipping away her tears with embarrassment. “I can’t wait to go with you… Turtle Island is suppose to be… amazing and… I can’t wait.”
I took her face in my hands, whipping away her fresh tears with my thumbs.

“I have one more for you…” I said quietly, brushing her lips with my own. “Wait here… close your eyes.” A strange look crossed her face, followed quickly by a warm smile. I got up quickly and headed down the hallway to Mary’s room, where her gift was hidden. I wondered how she would handle it. Is it too soon for such a big commitment? Am I rushing this? What’s she going to say?
Scoping her last present into my hand, I walked back out to the living room.
Abby was still sitting in the couch, her hands covering her eyes. I looked around the room and noticed that at some point everyone else had left.

I walked over in front of her, then I kneeled down. “Abby…” I said slowly, praying for the best. “Here’s your last present… you can open your eyes.”
She pulled her hands away from her face and looked down at me, grinning broadly. “Meet Cooper!” I said happily, setting the squirming Chocolate Lab puppy in her lap.

“Oh! Oh my god… oh my god it’s a puppy!” Her initial reaction was disappointment, but now as she held Cooper up she looked genuinely happy. I was confused. What did she think was- oh shit. I realized that I was on my knees in front of her. Did she think I was going to ask her to marry me? I mean, I would but… it’s so… soon and… wait. Did I just say ‘I would’?
I stared up at her as she giggled and accepted Cooper’s kisses on her face; excitement rippled through my chest - She was disappointed… she would have said yes…

I got off my knees and pulled myself up beside her. “He’s beautiful!” She sighed, resting her head on my shoulder.

“You’re beautiful…” I said back, kissing her hair.

Someone coughed from the kitchen, causing us both to turn around. “You lovebirds going to get ready soon?”

I nodded slowly. How was I going to explain this to Abby… “Ready for what?” She asked slowly, looking back and forth between my dad and me.

“Umm… we sort of have this tradition where we go across the street to… visit.” I said slowly, the tone in my voice making it obvious who’s family we were going to see. Abby looked like a deer caught in the headlights. “I’m sorry Abby… it won’t be so bad, I’ll stay beside you the whole time.” I sighed trying to make her understand that I wasn’t doing this to hurt her. “They’re like second parents to me… we do it every year.”

She nodded slowly. “Can I take Cooper?” She said after a minute. I nodded as she gave me a weak smile.
Vero probably won’t be there… I tried to reason with myself. She’ll probably be over at Pierre’s…
I glanced over at Abby as we made our way down that hall. At least… I hope she’s not there.

4 comments:

  1. "this from the woman who thinks Maxime Talbot is the most respectable man"
    ^BAHAHAHA!! I seriously lost it. OMG.

    "whenever we finally had sex - I wanted it to be anything but quiet"
    ^Hot. H O T.

    So, MAF at Christmas is adorable, just like a big kid. Soo cute. The deadbolt--best. present. ever. Better than the vacations.. the flower necklace was a nice touch, though. *sigh* I'm so happy right now. Well, except for the trip across the street. Eep! I hope that goes okay....

    Excellent as always, Zigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Max is going to be upset about the deadbolt, lol!! That was the best present ever!! Wow, can't wait to see what happens on the their visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this during the Pens Redwings game tonight. It was the bright spot of my night. - And Vero is so going to be there isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "snuggling up against Abby, hoping she wouldn’t be too pissed about getting an erection in the back. Totally not my fault…" BAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! I love the "totally not my fault!" Oh I was cracking up!!

    ReplyDelete