Sunday, September 13, 2009

Unexpected Vistors

Aberleigh-

I stood in the corner by myself, even Danielle didn't want to be near me. Looks like she's blended right in with the girlfriends. I watched as Marc came out with Max and Sid, glancing instantly towards the couch that Danielle just vacated to stand next to Max. That must be where she used to sit. I sighed, looking down at my feet and then back up at him. I watched as Sid leaned into him and whispered pointing directly at me. I watched as his gaze swept the room, missing me entirely.

He's looking for her. I sighed deeply and returned to studying my feet. I knew this was way too good to be true. Who was I fooling? Maybe I should just call Braeden and go home... I lifted my gaze and found his eyes. My lips twitched into a small smile as butterflies attacked my innards. I barely noticed people standing around staring at us. I just watched him as he took a step forward.

“Do you want a drive home?” I nodded, moving with him easily out of the door, he held open for me.

Outside I shivered at the cold October wind. I pulled the jersey tighter around me, wishing I had my coat... or his arms... around me... I shook my head at the thoughts that passed through me, as he held open the passenger side door. I smiled as he ran around the SUV, jumped in and cranked up the heat.

We drove down the street in silence, I couldn't help but look over him and smile, biting my bottom lip gently. What were we doing? The last time we were in a vehicle together it did not turn out well. I glanced over at him again, catching him looking at me too. I blushed before looking back out of the window.

My face fell as we pulled up to my house. Already? My sigh deepened as I saw the living room glow in the darkness, Braeden must be up waiting for me. But I wasn't ready for the night to be over. I knew we needed to talk, to decide where we were going, what this was. But even above and beyond that. Actually probably the one thing keeping me in the vehicle was my insane want to just be near him. All the time. I continued to stare out the window, willing my stomach to quit doing somersaults. This was insane!

I looked up at him as his hand gently covered mine and met his eyes full on. God he was gorgeous.

“Is your brother in there?” His words cut through the inappropriate thoughts I was having of him and I glanced back at my car sitting in the driveway. I bit my lower lip and nodded sadly. “I guess I should let you get in there then...” He mumbled and withdrew his hand. Mine felt so empty, so alone with out his larger one covering it. It felt.... I moved my gaze to my lap trying to decide how to describe the feelings I had for him. I chewed nervously on my lower lip as I felt him stare at me. Please don't leave me...

I jumped slightly as he exhaled loudly, I guess this was my cue to get the hell out of his car. I looked up at him, hoping to read something from his expression. Nothing.

Suddenly his hands fit around my jaw. My gaze naturally fell to his lips as my stomach and heart flipped simultaneously. You cannot get sick right now, Aberleigh. I forbid it.

I licked my lips nervously, preparing myself for what could happen. What seemed to be happening. He inched closer and my nervousness increased as my positivity at the situation increased. But the kiss I was expecting never came. Instead his lips pressed onto my forehead. A sweet gesture, no doubt, but not the gesture I prayed would have happened. I sighed gently and took his wrists in my hands holding him against my face.

“Could we go somewhere?” I asked, my gaze falling to the center consul so he couldn't see any disappointment in them. I glanced up to see him nod slowly before I let go of his wrists, sat back and put on my seat belt.

The drive to the diner was short and deadly silent. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence. None of the silences with him ever were. But it was needed. I stared out the window, so deep in thought I didn't even realize we had pulled up to our destination until he gently touched my arm. I looked up at him startled, and smiled as I remembered what had just happened. We both slid out of the Range Rover and were quickly shown to the same table as the first time we were there. We ordered and were left alone quickly. Well, Marc ordered. I just needed a coffee.

“You really should eat something, Abby.” He sighed as my stomach grumbled. I furrowed my brow and pushed the funny feeling aside.

“No.. I couldn't really... I think I'm too nervous.” I shrugged sheepishly as I took a sip of my black coffee. Ugh... I hate black coffee. But it's better than just water.

“So...” He sighed, staring at his hands sitting on the table. I reached across the table and covered his hands with my tiny ones. I was amazed at the difference between them. I'm sure his hands were almost twice the size of mine. I looked up at him shocked as he turned his hands over so both sets were facing each other, palm to palm. I jumped at the electricity that shot up my arm as he rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb.

“So...” I echoed. I glanced around the diner, looking for anything to take my attention away from this man in front of me.

“Did you get my flower?” My gaze whipped around to meet his. Oh god... How do I explain why I didn't see him? What do I say?? I nodded slowly, trying to think of the best thing to say to him.

“It was beautiful, thank you.” I smiled softly staring at our hands.

“It was weird... Not seeing you around the rink...” What the... Was he calling me out for disappearing?

“Yah, Braeden needed some support and asked if I'd go to the Dominican with him.” I shrugged. “Something about a crazy ex.” I looked up at him, seeing the hurt in his eyes I sighed. “I left really quickly, Marc. I barely told Mario I was leaving.” I shrugged sheepishly wishing to just put this behind us. “I'm sorry...” I whispered as his eyes turned to shock as I shifted my glance to my lap. He dropped my hands and circled to my side of the booth, sliding me over he climbed in next to me.

“Never apologize. You're brother needed you.” He stared at me intensely, brushing a stray strand of hair off my face. “That's one of the things I like about you.” I brought my eyes back to his in complete shock.

“Y-you like me?”

“I guess I do...” We both blushed not letting the other look away. I don't know about him, but I know I didn't want to. “Want to get out of here?” I nodded smiling softly as he threw some bills on the table and slid out of the booth, offering me his hand to help me out as well. I figured as soon as I got out of the booth he would drop my hand, but he didn't. A small smiled played at the corner of my lips as he led me out of the diner to his SUV.

A comfortable silence fell over us as we headed down a street that I knew wouldn't lead me home. The scary thing was, I didn't care.

After only ten minutes of driving we pulled up to a beautiful two-story Victorian and he killed the engine.

“I... hope you don't mind...” I looked over at him as he blushed softly. “I figured we could talk... Or watch a movie...” I smiled at him as he stared out of the windshield his hands in a death grip on the steering wheel.

“I'd love to.” I laughed as he swung his gaze towards me, shocked. We moved to get out of the SUV and I was surprised as he ran around to meet me. Slowly we walked into his house together.

It was simply decorated, a nice neutral; not to feminine, not to masculine. I wandered through the living room, the only proof that a woman had lived here were the pictures dotted around the place. The two of them at the park, skating... Celebrating at Diesel. I looked back at him sadly as he studied his DVD collection; was he ready to let her go? I turned back to the pictures and saw him staring out of one with a different girl, one who looked a lot more like him.

“That's Marylene and I, last summer.” He smiled coming up behind me. “Is Stepbrothers ok?” I nodded and followed him to his couch, leaving my jersey on the back of the couch. We watched the movie in almost complete silence, starting it at complete ends of the couch, but by half way through we were sitting side by side, our legs brushing against each other. I tried to fight a yawn as I giggled at the movie. “Come on, Abby... lay down, you're tired... I'll take you home in the morning.” I smiled softly as we lay down on the couch together. My eyes getting heavy from exhaustion.

“You know, only my brother calls me Abby...” I whisper, sleep starting to claim me.

“Sorry,” he whispered back into my hair. "I'll stop.” I shook my head.

“Don't... I like it.” My smile grew as my eye closed and I slowly lost consciousness.



I woke with a start at the door closing loudly. I sat straight up on the couch and took in my surroundings. Where am I? I smiled as last night slowly came back to me.

“Who the hell are you?” An accented voice broke through my thoughts causing me to turn and see a gorgeous women standing in the door. Vero. “Where is Marc?”

“They... They have practice today...” I mumbled, finger combing my hair. “I'm sorry. Marc didn't tell me you were coming over.”

“Well, he called yesterday. I wanted to make sure he was okay.” She shrugged brushing by me and into the kitchen. “Who are you?”

“I'm Aberleigh... Michaels... A... A friend of Marc's.” I smiled sheepishly and held out my hand to her. She took me in, from head to toe, seeing my wrinkled clothes from yesterday and tangled hair and scoffed. Ignoring my hand she put water into a tea kettle and turned on the stove.

“You must be a very close friend, that he offered his couch to a woman I've never met.” I was slightly taken aback. How dare she! She has some nerve. She left him!

“Marc's generous like that.” I smirked knowingly. She poured herself a tea as soon as the water boiled and I moved to sit at the round table, I was sure this woman picked out, in the middle of the kitchen. She eventually came and sat across from me. Neither of us speaking.

Twenty minutes of uncomfortable silence later and I could hear the door open in the front room.

“Abby?” Marc called, I rose victoriously from the table, grinning at the woman left there as I walked into the living room. “Hey! I got you the-” He held out a beautiful bouquet of Orchids as I felt a present come up behind me. “Vero?” His voice caught in his throat as the bouquet fell to the floor with a crash. “Wha... What are you doing here?” I stared at him amazed as the glass shattered. Did I cease to exist?

“I was worried about you, Cherie...” She sighed stepping around the glass to him. I watched them interact for a moment before I couldn't stomach it any longer. Holding in my tears I ran outside. Fumbling with my phone I was finally able to punch in the right numbers.

“Aberleigh Michaels' residence.” Braeden's voice soothed through the phone, finally letting my tears fall freely.

“Brae...” I sobbed. “C-can you come get me?”

“Just give me the address, Abby. And I'm there.” I moved to the front of the house and read off the numbers. He hung up quickly, causing my life line to disappear. Broken and unwanted I slumped into the pavement of Marc-Andre's driveway and cried.

Ten minutes later two strong arms wrapped around me as Braeden helped me to my car.

“What happened, Abby?” He asked gently driving me towards the house. I shook my head, staring out the side window.

“Take me to the office, Brae...” I whispered.

“Are you sure?” He asked cautiously. I slowly turned to him and wiped the tears from under my eyes.

“I can't think about him right now. And if I stay home that's all I'll do. I need to work. Take me to the office.” He sighed at my logic.

“Ok, Abby, you're the boss.” He turned down the street opposite to the one to take us home and pulled up to the rink. “Call me if you need anything ok.”

“Pinky promise.” I smiled sadly wrapping my pinky with his before getting out of the car. “And Brae...” He looked up expectantly. “Thanks.” I smiled and ran into the building before I could think again.

4 comments:

  1. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

    I don't know what else to do but scream.



    Seriously, I don't know what to say.



    Seriously. Speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMFG. Seriously?! Just like that!? I feel bad for Flower, like really bad, but I didn't think he would completely shut down like that. WOW. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole story I kept wondering what happens if/when Vero comes back. Ahhhh. I guess we're really about to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, she came back! I was wondering if that was going to happen! Great update! Can't wait to see what happens next with the three of them!

    ReplyDelete