Monday, September 28, 2009

War makes interesting bed fellows

Aberleigh-

I woke with a start at someone shaking me and calling my name. I blinked my eyes open to see Marc kneeling on the bed.

“What time is it?” I groggily croaked, sitting up slowly and rubbing my eyes with a yawn.

“Umm... I don't know... it's probably 6AM by now!” I couldn't help but laugh at the excitement in his voice and eyes.

By now? How long have you been up for?” His grin grew, lighting his eyes even brighter.

“5... Let's go... presents!” He jumped off the bed and I could hear him running down the hall, bursting through another door. I chuckled softly to myself as I threw on my long, warm terry cloth robe and headed into the kitchen. I brewed a pot of coffee for myself, Andre and France, knowing full well that Marc definitely didn't need anymore stimulation this morning. Taking my freshly brewed cup into the living room, I slowly sat on the couch and reveled in the feel of this spirit. Christmas was never a big deal in our family. Most years my parents ran off to Colorado or the Alps leaving Braeden and me at our respective boarding schools. Lucy mailing us our presents weeks before. Since moving to Pittsburgh it was always just me and Danielle, her own family being across the country.

This was truly my first family Christmas experience. It was nice...

I laughed softly as I heard Marc's parents groan and then his footsteps loudly through the hall. He nearly vaulted over the couch to land next to me, chuckling.

“What can I say? I love Christmas...” I shook my head at him, his cheeks flushed from his running around like a bat out of hell. I leaned in and kissed him gently. I hope he'd still be like this with our kids... WHAT? Kids? Oh dear.... I pulled away, sitting back against the couch as Marylene entered the room. I was pretty sure she still didn't like me.

Presents seemed to disappear almost as quickly as they piled up as soon as his parents came downstairs and poured their own coffees.

Marylene's present pile was definitely impressive, although it made me smile victoriously at the fact that it was the new Ipod Nano Shoots I had bought for her that had her so enthralled. I smiled down at my beautiful emerald green sweater I had received from Andre and France; it wasn't much, but it was, at that point, the best present I had ever received. I turned slowly to Marc; he was the last person to get any presents from me, having purposely saved him for last.

“Ready for your gifts?” I asked as he tugged me even closer to him.

“Gifts? As in multiple?” I shook my head laughing at him as I pulled the card and two boxes from the table behind me.

“This one first...” I grinned handing him the larger of the two boxes. I bit my lip in anticipation as he shook it gently by his ear, hearing it clunk. He tore through the paper and began to laugh.

“A deadbolt? I don't think Max will be too happy about this!” My smile and confidence grew as a grin formed on his lips. He got it... He understood the reasoning behind it. I handed him the next box with a little more anticipation, it was an expensive gift, and we really hadn't discussed costs, or gifts in general, I just saw it, loved it, and instantly thought of him. My self-consciousness got the best of me and I began to chew on my thumb nail as he once again shook it, testing its weight. Finally he tore into the packaging, his eyes almost doubling in size at the watch nestled inside. My nervousness continued to grow as he gently brushed the face of the watch before gently taking out of the packaging and slipping it onto his wrist. Perfect fit. He turned his face up to meet mine, a grin plastered on his lips. My furrowed brow relaxed instantly as he pulled me into a mind blowing kiss. I had to physically push him away to end the kiss, knowing if I didn't... Well his parents were in the room. I giggled softly turning towards them, making sure that I wasn't public enemy number one.

France smiled genuinely at us as Andre flipped through his new book, unknowingly. Marylene at this point had disappeared to her room, with most of her bounty. I turned back to Marc who was smiling widely at me.

“Thank you, Abby... for both of them...” I laughed as he kissed my forehead gently.

“You didn't even open your big present yet!” My laugh grew as he whooped in excitement, handing him the card that sat on my lap. I watched his face as it moved from curious, to confusion, to pure excitement.

“But... this... wow! Abby!” I laughed as he threw his arms around me pulling me in to kiss him again. “France?! We're going to France? I've always wanted to go there!”

“I remembered you saying something about it once... I figured... it'd make for a nice vacation.” I shrugged as he nodded, before his eyes began to glint in excitement.

“Ready for your gifts now?” I nodded quickly; I had been waiting all morning for this. How was he going to ask? He said gifts... so it would definitely be the last one. “Alright... first off... here!” My smile grew as he placed a long, thin, robin's egg blue box in my hands. I gently traced Tiffany's on the top of the box... My favourite jewelers! How did he know? I slowly pulled of the lid and gasped at the beautiful pendent nestled in the gaze.

“Oh Marc...” I sighed, covering my dropping jaw; I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

“I wasn't sure if you'd like it...” I could barely hear him as my brain slowly tried to regain itself from the mush it had become. “Sidney helped me pick it out; it's a flower... get it?” I laughed genuinely, looking up at him as I shook my head at the sweetness of it all.

“Will you put it on?” My voice caught in my throat as he nodded, prompting me to pull all of my hair onto the top of my head. I shivered involuntarily as he kissed the back of my neck, just above where the clasp of the chain hit. I slowly took my hand from my hair, moving it to the pendent, playing with it.

“Ready for this one?” I moved my eyes to his, smiling, as I took the envelope he extended towards me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, and pulled me closer as I pulled out the card. I smiled at the silhouetted couple sitting on a bench surrounded by snow on the front. I slowly traced them with my finger as I opened the card, reading what he had written.

Abby,
Like most people, when I was younger I use to dream about the girl that I would have in my life; I always hoped that she would be beautiful and kind. Loving and loyal. But never in a million years could I have dreamed of someone like you: someone so perfect in everyway that it defies understanding. That I could be so blessed, to me, is incomprehensible. No one could be so perfect, and yet somehow, here you are. It is, this Christmas, both one of the happiest and saddest of my life; simply because I have you and yet cannot spend as much time with you as I want.
Know however, that you are always in my mind and in my heart.
Merry Christmas,
Marc

My eye filled with tears as I read and re-read his words. I didn’t even care what else was in that envelope. After reading it one last time, I lovingly set the card on my lap, intending to cherish it for the rest of forever. I pulled the final contents out of the envelope giving Marc a watery smile before turning my attention back to the gift. It took me two or three reads to fully understand the present. I squealed in excitement throwing my arms around his neck, allowing my deliriously happy tears to fall onto my cheeks.

“I’m sorry…” I sobbed against him. “I just…” I drew in a shaky breath as I pulled back from him and began to wipe my tears, blushing deeply. “I can’t wait to go with you… Turtle Island is supposed to be… amazing. And… I can’t wait.” I felt like my face was going to split in half from the size of my smile. He gently took my face into his strong hands and gently wiped the remainder of my tears with his thumbs.

“I have one more for you…” He whispered as he brushed my lips with his. “Stay here… close your eyes.” Oh god… This was it. Worry and excitement crossed my mind at the same time. What would his parents think? Was it too soon? I closed my eyes tightly as I felt him rise from the couch. I had to physically cover them to keep from peeking. “Abby… Here’s your last present.” I heard him in front of me. I chewed on the corner of my mouth in anticipation. “You can open your eyes.” I pulled my hands away from my face to find him kneeling in front of me with his hands behind his back. I wasn’t wrong… He was going to- “Meet Cooper!” He grinned, placing a wriggling chocolate lab puppy in my lap. A puppy? My smile dropped momentarily as “Cooper” scrambled up trying to reach my face to lick wildly, his sign of absolute affection genuinely replacing my grin.

“Oh! Oh my god… Oh my god, a puppy!” My emotions were on overdrive as I scratched the beautiful dog behind his ears. He got me a puppy. He got us a puppy… I smiled over at him as he sat next to me again, allowing my head to comfortable find his shoulder. “He’s beautiful…” I sighed watching as Cooper wriggled over our laps to nip at Marc’s fingers.

“You’re beautiful…” He whispered kissing the top of my head. I smiled as some one came in from the kitchen and cleared their throat. His dad stood there grinning at us.

“You lovebirds going to get ready soon?” He asked a smile evident in his voice. Marc nodded slowly before turning back to me. There’s more? I didn’t think I could handle anymore excitement. I turned to look over at Marc in confusion.

“Ready for what?” He sighed softly, obviously being very careful to choose his words.

“Umm… we sort of have this tradition where we go across the street to… visit.” He paused studying my reaction. What was so important across- Oh god! I couldn’t go over there! I would, in all certainty, be public enemy number one. “I’m sorry; Abby… it won’t be so bad. I’ll stay beside you the whole time.” He sighed taking my one hand in his. “They’re like second parents to me… we do it every year.” I furrowed my brow in worry and I glanced down to see Cooper chewing on the belt of my robe.

“Can I take Cooper?” I asked quietly, my smile finally returning as he nodded. It couldn’t be that bad… Could it?




We got ready in record time, and I found myself in front of the house in mere moments, Cooper pulling wildly on his leash, wanting to smell and jump into the snow. I laughed and scooped him into my arms as the door opened. An older woman appeared behind it. This must be her mum… I smiled warmly as she spoke rapid French to the Fleury’s. I blushed softly as I heard my name and was pulled into a tight hug. We laughed softly as we were ushered in out of the cold.

Marylene disappeared almost as soon as we got there, as the rest of us filed into the living room and gathered around a warm, roaring fire. Marc and I found spots on the floor where we could comfortably keep Cooper entertained as he tried to take rule of the house.

“So, Aberleigh…” Vero’s mum started, causing me to turn my attention to her. “How are you enjoying Sorel?”

“It’s beautiful,” I sighed as Marc gave my leg a gentle squeeze. “I mean… I grew up in upstate New York, and we always believed there could be nothing more beautiful then central park in the middle of December. We were wrong.” Everyone chuckled with me as the parents settled into polite conversation. I was lost in my own world with Marc and Cooper when the door suddenly opened and two fully covered figures came through the door. Cooper gave a warning bark, causing me to quickly pull him into my arms. “Shh…” I soothed as he growled at the taller of the two figures. My breath caught as they shed their heavy overcoats to reveal Vero and a tall, pensive looking man.

“Oh, Aberleigh! This is my daughter Veronique and her boyfriend Pierre.” Her mum excitedly announced pushing the two new comers further into the room. Vero quietly spoke to her mum in French.

“We’ve met…” I smiled carefully, nodding at Vero. “Vero…”

“Abby…” She returned just as cautiously. “Marc, how have you been?”

“Couldn’t be better,” he smiled over at me hugging me to him with one arm, a soft blush covering my cheeks. “Pierre… Life treating you well?” I felt him tense next to me as Pierre wrapped his arm around Vero’s shoulders. He’s jealous? I turned to look at his face, and found nothing but anger as the taller man gave a short answer in French before leading Vero down the hallway. I slowly released my breath as the tension in the room dissipated. Even Cooper dropped his growl and returned to chasing Marc’s socks.





The morning passed quickly as the family moved slowly into the kitchen, leaving Marc and I alone in the living room.

“I’ll be right back…” I smiled and pushed myself off of the floor, I laughed at the concerned look on his face. “I just have to run to the washroom, Marc. Calm down.” I kissed his forehead gently before disappearing down the hall. I pause half way down the hall trying to remember which room the bathroom was, when I heard voices right next to me.

“You think I don’t see what you’re doing you stupid slut?!” My curiosity got the better of me as I peeked into the cracked open door. There were Vero and Pierre squared off against each other.

“What am I doing, Pierre?” She sighed, rolling her eyes at him.

“You’re throwing yourself at him! He doesn’t want you anymore, Vero!” He spat as she shrunk back. “He doesn’t love you!”

“He’ll always love me…” She whispered so quietly I barely heard it. I knew it was true… Why wasn’t it bugging me? In the least… I gasped softly as I watched Pierre’s hand come down across her cheek hard. I quickly turned away from the door, opening the one across the hall to reveal the bathroom. Thank god!

I stayed in the small room for a few extra minutes as I heard the door across the hall slam shut and male feet stomped down the hallway. I sighed gently as I ran a soft face cloth under freezing cold water and crossed the hallway.

“Vero?” I started cautiously as I moved towards her, sitting on the bed.

“Go away, Abby…” She cried, turning the left side of her face away from me. I shook my head slowly as I offered her the cold compress.

“Sorry… No can do…” She sighed as she took the cloth and placed it against her cheek, wincing slightly. We sat in complete silence for a while; I wanted to give this woman time to speak to me.

“Thank you…” She sighed as I nodded slowly. “He didn’t mean to you know?” I slowly turned to study her as she stared at me expectantly.

“Of course not…” I smiled sadly patting her hand.

“You’re not going to tell me to leave him? Everyone else does…”

“Vero… I don’t know him. I barely know you. I’m sitting here because you look like you need someone in your corner.” She smiled weakly up at me. “I can’t judge what I don’t know. Everyone else might think they know… But Vero… They don’t. They’re not there when the door closes.” We lapsed again into silence before I gently took the cold compress from her. “Ready to head back into the lion’s den?” She laughed gently and nodded. I took her arm and led her back to the living room. We were mere feet away from the room when I heard Cooper yelp in pain, and a loud crash that followed quickly. I slowly turned to look at Vero before letting her go and running the rest of the way into the room. “What happened?” I cried as Cooper barreled into my legs.

“Coups de pied des chiots? Normalement Marc-Andre seulement abattages fourmis.” Pierre spat towards Marc, I scooped Cooper off the floor and watched Marc's face pale as he glanced around the room, landing on Vero's first.

“Ce n'est pas mon faute” Marc cried, turning to me with pain in his eyes. “Abby... I didn't... Cooper...” He took a small step towards us.

“It's okay, Marc...” I sighed stroking Cooper's head and closing the gap between Marc and myself. “I know you'd never do anything to intentionally hurt Cooper.” He nodded slightly, looking ashamed. Our attentions were pulled from the situation when the doorbell rang. Marylene crossed behind everyone to open the door, showing a group of people ranging from fourteen to twenty-five.

“Mary! Come on, snowball wars!” Mary turned back to all of us, with a gleam in her eyes.

“Nous devons jouer!” She grinned, pulling her toque onto her head tightly before sliding on her coat and gloves. Vero glanced over at Pierre who shrugged, holding open her coat for her. Maybe what I saw was a one off thing...

“Wanna play?” Marc whispered into my ear, scratching behind Cooper's, and the dog tried desperately to catch Marc's wrist with his tongue.

“What is it?” I looked up at him curiously.

“It's like catch the flag, meets paintball, in the middle of winter, and uses snowballs instead of paintballs.” I glanced down at Cooper now trying to chew on my sleeve in my arms.

“I guess I'll give it a try.” I shrugged softly placing the dog on the floor as Marc grabbed his leash from the door. We quickly dressed in our coats, toques and mitts before running out the door to find the mob of them in two different groups. Marylene instructing everyone where to stand.

“Marc vous êtes sur mon équipe.” She pulled him away from me as I passed him Cooper's leash. He knew what was going on... I didn't want Cooper to get hurt. I glanced over at Vero as she shrugged easily. I guess I was on that team... I smiled shyly making my way over.

As soon as the teams were assembled we all took off into the woods. I kept a close eye on my team, trying to figure out the rules and what it was exactly that I was supposed to be doing. I threw a quick snowball in the other teams direction, just missing one of the younger boys. A stinging pain hit my leg as I looked down to see a fist size piece of ice sitting next to my boot. I glanced up to see Marylene shrugging nonchalantly before she took off deeper into the forest. I sighed loudly as I tried to fall deeper into the woods.

“Psst! Abby!” Vero called, waving me over towards her. “Over this way.” I ran quickly over to her, ignoring the next stab of pain as another ice piece hit my back. “Head for the embankment. There's better coverage over there.” I nodded at her in thanks before heading that way.





Further into the game I started listening to the rest of everyone playing the game. What was I even doing here? Every time I moved I had ice thrown at me. I was sure they were laughing at me, stupid little American who had no idea what was going on. I glanced over at Vero as she laughed brightly, tossing snowballs over her own embankment. Figures... She had to be good that this too. I sighed deeply and bit my lip to keep from crying out as an ice block hit me square in the shoulder. That does it! I'm done! I don't want to play this stupid game anymore! I pulled myself up off the snow and started back through the woods, flinching as I got peppered with snow and ice as I made my way back to the house.

“Abby?” Marc's voice pushed through my thoughts as I finally crested the edge of the woods, but I didn't stop. I could hear him behind me the whole way back to the house as I dusted myself off, kicking off my boots, leaving them directly inside of the door. I shed my now soaked toque and mitts, before shaking out my dripping coat and hanging it in the closet.
I held my breath to keep my tears internal as I hurried upstairs to draw a warm bath, hopefully to warm my frozen core.

“Abby... Please, talk to me.” He pleaded. I shook my head, pulling my sweater over my head, wincing as I hit forming bruises. “Oh god... Abby, what happened?”

“Your stupid game happened!” I yelled, brushing past him back into the bathroom, closing the door in his face. I shed the rest of my clothes as I sunk into the almost scalding water. I shivered at the heat against my frozen skin, finally letting my tears flood out of me.

“Abby, please...” He sighed. “I didn't ever want you to get hurt... Just let me in...” I sighed as I immersed my head under water. I came up just as quickly, wiping my tears from my cheeks before telling him to come in. “What happened?”

“I was pelted with ice blocks since the stupid game started. If that's your idea of fun, Marc, you can have your fun without me!” I glared at him as he gently took my arm in his, rubbing a large bruise gently. I was shocked. It didn't even hurt.

“Mary...” He spat before moving his eyes back to mine. “Abby, I'm sorry. Marylene was out of hand. There's not supposed to be any ice used. She's young, and naive... And I don't care what she thinks of you. I love you.” Oh... my... god... Did I die?

“You love me?” I breathed, not wanting to be louder than a whisper in case this all disappeared.

“Do you love me?” He asked shyly. I took his face in my hands, drawing him into me for a deep kiss.

“I love you Marc-Andre Fleury.” I sighed against him between kisses.

“I love you too Aberleigh Michaels. More than you could ever know.” I smiled against his lips as I drew him closer to me.

“Marc? Aberleigh? Someone has something she'd like to tell you both!” Andre's voice carried up through the hallway. Marc sighed deeply causing my to laugh softly as I slowly climbed out of the tub taking the offered towel from Marc who quickly leaving the room. I quickly dressed and ran downstairs. What could she have to say now?

2 comments:

  1. I am SO glad that things between Vero and Abby are less horrendous than what they were. But she still can't be with Pierre. She needs to find someone nice that will keep her occupied but ISN'T Marc. And Mary... throwing ice... silly girl. MAF doesn't need "help" from his little sister.

    THEY SAID "I LOVE YOU"!!!!! YAY! :) I'm glad I got that out of my system. I feel better now.

    I can't wait to see what's going to happen next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to I Love You!!!

    Boo to cliffhanger!!

    I love this story! So much!!

    ReplyDelete