Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Happy New Years!

Aberleigh-

I walked around the business space I could finally call mine and smiled in satisfaction at what had already been completed.

“Lookin' good, Abby!” Braeden's voice carried over as he checked out one of the small offices off the main room. “Which one's mine?”

“The one that's at your house, Brae... Who said I was going to hire you? What would you do?” I laughed at him as he shrugged.

“HR? Come on Abby! Please?” He slid on his knees across the marble to grab onto my high-waisted skirt.

“FINE!” I laughed, “but I have to approve any hires, Braeden. This isn't a free ride. It's my life.” He jumped to his feet and saluted me briskly. “So, I guess I can give you these.” I grinned handing him a large pile of papers. “I need two reps and a receptionist ready to start in two weeks. Call me when you've got the interviews set up.” His smile dropped causing my grin to grow.

“Well... Dad would be proud.” He mumbled before catching my glare. “What? Abby you can't stay mad at Dad forever.”

“I can... and I might.” I nodded going back to check out my office. I ran my fingers across the deep oak of my desk and stared out the window at the picturesque view of Pittsburgh, home.

“You are definitely his daughter, Aberleigh Michaels...” Braeden sighed behind me. I shook my head gently.

“Have you talked to them?” I turned back to look at him as he shook his head slowly.

“Mom's joined up with him, she thinks Marc's too poor. Her words!” He held up his hands in defense as my glare intensified. “Look, Abby... They're crazy. Marc's a great guy. They'd be lucky to have him for a son-in-law. Besides, you're happy with him. Who cares?!” My face softened as I crossed the room to give him a tight hug.

“Thanks, Brae...” I smiled against him. “Take the office next door. It has an awesome view too.”

“Thanks, Abby!” He kissed the top of my head and ran out. “I'll try and have it narrowed down to a few interviews for just after New Years okay?” I nodded absently as he left the building. New Years... Shit! I need a dress for the party! Danielle was supposed to meet me at the house in twenty minutes!

I ran down the stairs and into my own car before speeding off.




Danielle and I pulled up to my house at the same time, causing me to wave at Kris as Dani jumped out of his Lexus.

“Okay, let's go...” She grinned as she climbed into my car.

“You two looked awfully cozy.” I grinned as I sped towards the mall, glancing at her as she blushed.

“It's good... I think.” Her smile grew as we pulled into the parking lot. “He makes me pretty happy.”

“I'm happy if you're happy, Dani.” I smiled as we rushed out of the cold and into the heated building.

“So, how was Christmas?” She glanced sideways at me as I shrugged flipping through racks and racks of dresses.

“Besides his sister absolutely hating me, it was good.” I looked at her out of the corner of my eye and laughed as she stared at me skeptically. “What?”

“It was good? Wasn't she there?” She lowered her voice as I pulled two dresses off the rack.

“Yes, Danielle, Vero was there... She's actually a really sweet person.” I stopped as Dani stared at me agape. “What? I can't like my boyfriend's ex?”

“NO! You can't! Aberleigh, this woman was with Marc for ten years! You don't think she's holding onto him?”

“No I don't... She's seeing someone else. Pierre somebody. She seems happy... And I like her. She's a good person.” I shrugged as I headed towards the dressing rooms. Danielle sighed at me as she followed. I tried on the dresses not finding anything I liked, nothing fit well. Danielle, on the other hand, found a gorgeous champagne coloured, chiffon dress that she bought on the spot, before I dragged her out of the store. My phone rang steps in front of the next store. I glanced at the number and it wasn't one I recognized. “Hello?” I called as I went over to the silk.

“Abby?” A soft voice whispered at me. “Abby, is that you?”

“Vero?” I asked incredulously. “Vero what's going on?”

“Ummm... I just wanted someone to talk to. Someone, non-judgmental.” She sniffed into the phone. I gave Dani a worried glance as I sat on one of the benches.

“Ok... What's wrong?”

“Pierre and I just had a fight. It was pretty bad...” Her voice broke as she tried to keep her composure.

“What did you fight about?” Marc's words from the plane echoed through my head "He used to date a girl and... suddenly she started coming to school with bruises and cuts and... then one day she ended up in the ER. When the guys on the team asked him about it he acted like it was no big deal, said that she had it 'coming to her'...” I had never before in the time I've known Marc wanted him to be wrong.

“I don't know...” She sobbed. “The house... Dinner... I can't remember!”

“Vero, what happened?” I took a deep breath to try and control my own breathing. Dani had stopped looking for my dress and sat next to me, a worried glance pasted on her face.

“He.. I...” She sobbed through the phone for a minute before collecting herself. “I don't know what to do... Where to go...”

“Here.” The words were out of my mouth before I could think about what I was saying. Dani sat next to me shaking her head wildly. “We have an extra bed. Vero, if you need to get out, go. Come here.”

“Marc won't be angry?” She whimpered into the enforcing my resolve to have her come here.

“The only two people he can be mad at for this are me and Pierre, Vero. Don't worry about it.”

“Thanks, Abby. I'm going to talk to him before I decide anything. Once he's calmed down.” She sniffed softly, but I could hear the calmness in her voice.

“Be safe, Vero.” I smiled as we signed off.

“Are you insane???” Danielle demanded as I pulled out a simple white dress, my eyes glistening, this is it. “That's his ex you just invited!”

“I know... And she needed an option on a safe place to go, if it came to that. I gave her one.” I shrugged sliding into a change room.

“You are insane...” She sighed as I stepped out to see it in the mirrors. It was perfect! “That's it...” She grinned as I nodded. “Marc's jaw is going to hit the floor when he sees you in that dress.” I turned to go and change as I glanced over my shoulder.

“That's kind of the plan, Dani.” She giggled as I winked before disappearing into the dressing room.




I walked up the stars and grinned widely at the sight of the brand new deadbolt situated in the front door. Marc installed it, yes! I grinned the whole way up the stairs and into our room as I hung the dress in the closet for the following day. I turned back briefly to find Marc already lying in bed with Cooper curled up at his feet, flipping through channels. I guess drinks at Dani's went later then I thought. I quickly changed into my cami and boy shorts and disappeared to wash my face before climbing into be next to him.

“I noticed the new addition to the front door.” I laughed as he pulled me tightly against him.

“Mmhmm... you enjoy my handy work?” He grinned as he began to kiss my jaw, trailing softly onto my neck, earning a soft moan. I closed my eyes softly as he began to move lower when I felt something warm by my legs. My eyes snapped open as I looked to the end of the bed to find Cooper with his leg up and peeing right on my brand new duvet cover.

"Oh no! Cooper!” I gasped shoving Marc away. “Damn, he just peed the bed!” I groaned futilely as I jumped up and gathered the duvet and Cooper up and started downstairs. I gave Marc a fruitless glare as I left the room. He's lucky I wasn't making him walk Cooper. “How could you mutt?” I groaned as he looked up at me with those big brown eyes. “Oh, Coop... I'm not mad at you.” I sighed setting him down next to his crate. “But you have to stay down here tonight. You can't pee the bed.” He nuzzled against my legs as I separated the duvet from the cover, shoving them into the washing machine. “Fine...” I groaned before taking him upstairs and letting him out the back door. “Go quickly, Cooper. It's cold!” Five minutes later Cooper and I trudged back upstairs to find Marc curled under a new blanket. I slipped under the blanket, curling up against him for heat.

“Brr... You're frozen woman!” He whispered at me as I kissed the back of his neck chuckling.

“Blame your dog...” I yawned, Cooper curling up on the ground next to us.





The next morning I stared at our empty living room as Cooper dropped Marc's catcher glove at my feet.

“Cooper...” I sighed picking it up off the floor. “What are we going to do with you?” I shook my head as Marc came through the living room, searching.

“Where is he?” He grumbled under his breath as Cooper quietly hid behind me, his tail between his legs.

“Here's your glove Marc.” I held it out to him as he glanced up at me shocked. “Go... have a good game, and when you get home, everything should be ready.” I grinned kissing him gently.

“And I get to see your dress?” His own smile growing, forgetting about the mischievous Cooper.

“If you're lucky...” I chuckled as his eyes shone. Kissing me one last time before he ran out the door.




I heard Marc come through the door as I tried to quickly finish curling my hair.

“Marc!” I called down to him. “I need you to come zip up my dress!” I chuckled as I heard him dash up the stairs and into the room.

“Wow...” He breathed as I smoothed the silk down my sides, as I blushed deeply.

“Can you zip me, please?” I whispered, turning my back to him and lifting my hair away from the dress. I sighed deeply as his hands trailed down my sides.

“We don't have to have the party...” He whispered into my hair causing me to laugh.

“Too late...” I heard him groan as the door bell rang. “You better get ready Casanova. Our guests have arrived.” I laughed as I ran down the stairs and pulled it open to find Jordan, Heather, Max, Geno, TK and Amanda all gathered on the front steps.

“New lock, Abbs? How mean...” Max pouted as I let them through the door and into the living room.

“Nice decorations...” Heather nodded at the balloons and streamers hung up throughout the room.

“Thanks.” I smiled as I held the door open for Kris and Dani who were headed up the walkway.

“Nicely done, Abbs.” Kris grinned as he kissed my cheek before hanging up his coat and Dani's. Five minutes later I found the living room was jam packed with people, music playing loudly and the TV on slight for Time Square's New Years Bash!

“So, Abbs, how'd you pull this off so fast?” Max asked as Marc wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

“Easy, Max... I hired Keebler Elves to do it.” I grinned.

“Yah... Meet Elf number one.” Braeden called from behind the bar.

“And two.” Dani grumbled as everyone else laughed. Moments later the laughter turned to gushing as Cooper came dashing through the crowd, something hanging from his-- Oh god... That's my bra! My mind screamed as he dropped the royal blue lace bra emphatically on Marc. I blushed deeply hiding my face against Marc's shoulder, and Marc quickly pulled the bra behind his back.

"Cooper, no." He scolded the puppy softly.

“Geesh! You invited me over this time! You could at least wait until I leave...” Max grinned wickedly as Marc threw a balled up napkin at his head. “Hey! I'm just sayin'!”

“Shh!” Amanda called as she turned to the TV. “Cut the music! The count down's on!” Braeden clicked off the music as Marc turned up the volume on the TV.

“10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3..2...1” We all shouted at the TV, those in couples clutching to each other's significant others. “Happy New Years!!!” Half the people cried as Marc's lips crashed onto mind. I wrapped my fingers into the curls at the base of his head as I deepened the kiss before Braeden came up right at our ears and blew a noise maker.

“Damn it, Braeden!” I yelled jumping away from Marc and clutching my ear. Max grinned and high-fived Braeden as he went back to turn on the music again.


An hour later I moved to the door to kick the last of our guests, being my brother, Geno, Jordan, Heather and Max, out of my house.

“You know I thought this over... and if you really want me to... I can...” He grinned widely as Geno chuckled heading down my sidewalk, I shook my head slowly. “Just watch?” I laughed softly.

“Get out, Max...” Jordan sighed, pushing him gently out the door, with his arms wrapped around Heather's waist.

“Come on, buddy... We'll getcha your own...” I smiled in thanks as they finally left my doorway. I closed the door and turned the deadbolt before slowly making my way back to Marc sitting on the couch.

“It's finally over...” I yawned behind my hand, placing my head gently on his shoulder.

1 comment:

  1. I can't pick out anything to quote because I loved it all so much! Cooper... I love the little guy. The pic was a nice touch! But why do I have a feeling that Abby's night is only just beginning?

    Please please please!!!

    ReplyDelete