Friday, September 11, 2009

Instructions

Aberleigh-

I sat in my dimly lit office; the only source of light being the slight line of natural light streaming in from my window that was mostly covered. I sat there staring at the single white calla lily I found in my door when I woke up. I knew who it was from. Of course I did... I watched him drive away after bringing it.

I am such a freaking coward! Why didn't I answer the door? Cuz you're too damned scared of getting hurt.

“How'd last night go?” I heard Dani before she opened the door. “Why are you sitting alone in the dark?” She questioned slowly, flicking the lights on in the process. “Ooh, pretty flower.” I sighed as she sat across from me at my desk. “Is it from him?” I nodded as my frown deepened. I picked up the flower and breathed its beautiful scent in. “So, a guy buys you a flower and you sit in the dark?”

“I kissed him....” I whispered, willing my tears not to fall as they welled behind my now closed eye lids.

“YOU DID WHAT??” She screamed; I didn't open my eyes, but I knew Danielle well enough to imagine the horrified look now plastered on her face.

“On the cheek.” I finished sighing deeply. “Dani, I can't do this.”

“Can't do what, Abbs? Can't see him? Can't kiss him?” I opened my eyes allowing a single tear fall onto my cheek.

“All of the above. I can't be here that's for sure. I need... I just... It was too soon.” I nodded finally resolving myself to that fact. “Besides... Look at me. Vero's gorgeous. How could I compete with that? Why would he want me? After he's had her.” Dani sighed deeply before standing from her chair.

“You're beautiful. And he'd be crazy not to want you. But maybe you should go home for a few days. I'll talk to Mario. The intern, Sara, she can watch out for the guys for a few.” I smiled slightly as she left the room, turning out the lights and closing the door on her way out. I moved to my phone to call home; it rang almost as if it read my mind.

“Hello?” I answered timidly.

“ABBY! Take a week off. We're going to Punta Cana!” My brother, Braeden's voice filled my ear.

“Who's we, Brae?”

“Just you and me, babe! Come on... I'm your baby brother!”

“Braeden... You're my only brother.” I laughed for the first time since the end of last night. “Now what's the real reason you need to get out of the country?”

“Psycho ex.” He stated plainly. “Your turn.”

“Stupid mistake.” I offered. “I'll tell you more when I see you. Book the flights.” We hung up instantly and I swiftly moved to call Mr. Lemieux.

“Aberleigh,” he answered sternly. “Danielle just left. You're going home to New York?” I thought about this for a moment. Should I tell him? Would he tell Marc? Do I want him to tell Marc?

“Yes, my mother's expecting me in two days. I'll be gone about a week?” I used a fake cheery voice. I hoped it was happy enough to fool him. I can't believe I just lied to my boss to keep where I was going from a guy I barely know.

“Ok, best of luck.” He laughed. “Good job with Marc-Andre the other day.” I knew it was supposed to be a compliment but it stabbed my heart, causing pain I didn't even know could exist.

“Thank you, Sir.” I hung up before he could hear the anxiety oozing from my voice. My phone bleeped at me; I picked it up and read the simple message.

Flight 335, American, 7pm.

I knew there was a reason I loved my brother. Now... to escape with out seeing any of the penguins. I grabbed the lily and my phone before dashing out of the arena.




“You kissed him?” Braeden asked softly as we sat side by side in beach chairs sun tanning on the beach.

“On the cheek.” I sighed taking a swig of my rum and coke.

“But you ran away? And then he sent you flowers?”

“A flower.” I turned onto my side to stare at him. “Aren't you supposed to be on my side?”

“Depends... What's your side? Poor Abby? Sorry not going to happen.” He grinned at me taking a sip of his own drink. “Do you like him?”

“NO!” I almost screamed before blushing deeply and settling back into my chair. “Maybe... I don't know...”

“And if he were to ask you out again?”

“I'd fight with myself to say no probably.” I sighed. “Brae... This could fuck with my job. Plus, he's gorgeous. And you should have seen his last girlfriend...” I sighed an even deeper sigh.

“Yah, cuz you're hideous. And fat.” He called sarcastically. I laughed nervously with him, knowing this week was going to kill my diet. Ugh. I just hope I don't put on too much weight. “Aberleigh, you need to decide how you feel about this guy. You seem to like him. And he sent you flowers; that's a good sign.”

“A flower...” I mumbled into the wind that kicked up.

“I say, if you like him, and he likes you, go for it! What's the worst that could happen?”

“We could split, I could loose my job and be homeless and have to sell myself on the street.” He chuckled at my worst scenario; the scary thing was I was half serious. “Seriously though... he makes me feel like nothing I've ever felt before. And I just think he's not over his last relationship.”

“He might not be, Abby. But I bet you could help him work out some of his issues.” I sighed deeply at the seriousness of his voice; that was not what I wanted to hear.

“Shut up, Braeden...” I sighed, turning over to tan my back.



Six days, a nice tan, and an extra fifteen pounds, later I was sitting in the driver's side of my car staring at the arena.

“Abby... You have to get out of the car now.” Braeden whispered next to me. I just shook my head, tightening my grip on the steering wheel. “Aberleigh, don't make me make you get out of this car.” I sighed and nodded, slowly letting go of the steering wheel and opening my door. Braeden got out of the passenger side and circled the car to me. “Go get 'im, killer.” He whispered kissing my forehead; I smiled gently leaning into him before letting him climb into the driver's side of my car. “What time do you need me here for?”

“Umm... I'll call you.” I smiled. He held up his right hand showing me his crossed fingers as I headed into my office.

I was in my office catching up on emails for a mere ten minutes before Max burst through.

“What the HELL?” He demanded slamming his hands on my desk. I jumped at the sudden outburst.

“What, Max?” My voice shook slightly at the crazy look in his eye.

“The least you could have done is warned me you had a boyfriend!” He seethed, “then I wouldn't have tried to push you and Flower together. And wow... Does he know how much you like Flower? Or is that an act too?”

“What are you taking about?” I stared at him incredulously. Marc was the closest thing I've come to having a boyfriend in three years. And that apparently was going no where.

“That tall tanned guy Flower saw you with about twenty minutes ago.” Max explained, his eyes still seething.

“You mean, Braeden?” I laughed gently, stopping at Max's angry face. “Max, Braeden's my younger brother.” Max began to look some what sheepish as the reality dawned on him.

“Uh oh... Tonight, might not be good. I'd better warn Dan....”

“Why? Because Marc saw me with Brae?” I stopped suddenly figuring it out. “Oh shoot... Marc saw me with Brae...” Now what was I going to do??

“Were you planning on sitting in the stands?” I heard Max speak, but it was his face that scared me the most, he had that scheming look in his eyes.

“Yah, I was... but maybe that's a bad idea now.” I sighed, turning back to my computer, and the mountain of work waiting for my attention.

“No, it's a great idea. But you need to move seats. Come on!” He grabbed my wrist and pulled me with him out of my office.

We basically ran down the hall ways and into the actual stand part of the arena. First stop on Max's crazy journey. A jersey? Oh no.... This was WAY too soon.

“No choice woman!” Max threw a Fleury jersey at me and winked at the girl at the till. Next stop, ticket window? “How close can you get us to the net?” He asked her in a syrupy sweet voice. She grinned before turning to her computer and hitting a few keys.

“Is first row close enough, Mr. Talbot?” I almost gagged at her eyelash batting as he nodded and received the ticket.

“Ok. Here's the deal, Abbs.” He pulled me to the entrance of my section. “Put on the jersey, sit in the seat, and smile at him. Cheer for him. I'll do the rest.”

“Max, I have a lot of work-”

“Bring it. Do it during intermission and the second period. Flower won't see you then anyways.” He shrugged shooing me to my office to get my work. “Oh yah, Abbs. Be in the lounge right after the game.” The lounge? Seriously? Crap.


Ten minutes later I was sitting in my new seat with my binder open on my lap; Danielle was sitting up with the girlfriends again. Did she do that often?

My red pen stroked through a few useless lines for a press release for Sidney. Sara was good, but she was pretty green. I glanced up as the announcer called Marc's name and he made his way to the net. I smiled shyly and waved slightly, with a pen in my hands before turning back to my binder.

The game was intense and Marc was playing... well... it wasn't his best game. But it wasn't his worst. The Caps were just killing us. Defense was slipping and Marc had to stand on his head. Once, in the third period, after an exceptionally nice save I turned in my seat to celebrate with the people behind me. When I turned back, he was staring at me with a shocked expression. I shrugged easily, my shy smile returning as I took my seat again.

The game finally ended, us winning in a shootout, Max getting the nod, and I found myself surrounded by women and children waiting patiently in the lounge for their men. Me? I didn't have a man... Just instructions.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could love this story more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, so much is going on! And I loved every word, including the last two sentences. Excellent, Heather, just excellent!

    And I am in love with the song you guys put in the sidebar. I've been listening to it nonstop.

    ReplyDelete