Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When you’re friends with Max, nothing’s private...

"Abby... It's okay... Jude comes back.." I whispered softly as I tugged her closer to me. If there’s one thing that I will never understand… it’s why girls watch movies that they already know will make them cry…

"I know... It's..." She let out a loud sigh. "Shush. Crying is part of my Across the Universe experience." I chuckled before turning my attention back to the TV; continuing to steal glances at her every now and then.
When the movie finished I tried to figure out how to keep her here, without sounding like I was trying to pressure her into something. Before I needed to find the words to ask, Aberleigh grabbed the remote and flip to the special features. I let out a groan.

"Shush." She complained. "We either watch this, or I have to go home."

“Fine.” I agreed, snuggling in beside her again; whatever keeps her beside me…


She fell asleep halfway through the documentary, nestled beside me. I watched her sleeping, grinning like an idiot, until I realized it was after 5. I let out a groan before I stood up, and stretched.
I leaned down to and scooped her up in my arms. Abby was not a big girl by any means, even still, I was surprised by how light she actually was.

I carried her up the stairs and laid her down; trying to forget about what had happened in this bed, only hours ago. Gently kissing her forehead, I laid down beside her, pulling her as close to me as possible.


After an hour I realized that there was no way I was falling asleep, I was too enthralled. She truly was a beautiful woman; and the more time I spent with her, the more I realized that.
This whole situation felt too good to be true, and I was terrified that she was going to wake up any minute and tell me she didn’t like me. It was irrational, but I couldn’t move past it; just in case the morning comes and that happens - I don’t want to miss a minute, I thought sombrely.

When 7AM rolled around I had a few thoughts bouncing around in my head. Climbing out of bed, I walked outside and hoped into the Rover.
I drove around until after 8, when I finally found the fancy boutique I was looking for. Out of all the things going through my mind, first and foremost was the remembrance that we had a banquet coming up, and I needed to find away to convince her to come with me. Women like dresses, right?

The lady helped me pick something out; after I did my best to describe Abby’s style to her. I wasn’t sure how much Abby would actually like it, but I really couldn’t wait to see her in it. The girl at the counter threw it in a box and I scribled down a note on top:

To the girl who could outshine the brightest 'diamonds in the sky' and the one I want to give 'all my lovin'’ to, 'it won't be long... all you need is love'.
Can't wait to see you in this...
Marc
PS. 'I wanna hold your hand’


I laughed at how corny it was, but I hoped she understood that this was my charming… if she wanted Romeo, she was definitely in the wrong place; not that I was planning on telling her that…

When I got in she was still asleep and I couldn’t help but smile at the sight, as I placed the box gently beside her.
I kissed her one last time before I headed back outside; driving towards practice - thoroughly disappointed that I wouldn’t get to see her again till after my game.



“Oh! Speak of the devil…” Sergi yelled as I walked through the door, to find the guys all smiling at me. I tried to ignore the smirks, pretending that everything was normal; but I couldn’t keep the grin off my face for long.

“Good night then buddy?” Talbo sauntered up, grabbing me and pulling me into a headlock.

I let out a sigh, feeling my face heating up. “Yes I had a good night Max… I had a great night, actually… but not how you’re thinking.” He released me, like he’d been electrocuted - jumping back to accentuate the point.

“Woah… didn’t she spend the night? Dani said…”

“Yah, she spent the night but… there are lots of things you can do with a woman besides sleep with her.” I chuckled as I headed towards my stall.

“… like what?” Max asked lamely, sounding genuinely put-out. I laughed to myself as I finished getting dressed, before bouncing off for the ice.




Our game about the Red Wings was about to start and as confident as I felt; there was something still bothering me, . “TK, I need your help…” I said softly, sitting down beside him.

He looked up at me, “Sure man… what’s up?”

“Can you go get Aberleigh for me? I know she’s busy with work but do you think you could just tell her I need her for a second? I’d go find her myself, but… the media’s already out there…”

“Yah, yah… no problem. Third floor, right?” I nodded as he got up, heading to the door.


The guys had all filed out around the corner as TK and Aberleigh arrived. I thanked TK as he left around the corner too; leaving Abby and I alone. “Hey…” she grinned walking up towards me, “look, sorry again that I can’t watch the game… I just have so much-”

I waved her apology away with my hand. “It’s alright, you can make it up to me afterwards? I got more movies we haven’t watched yet.” She let out a sigh, giving me a small smile.

“If I get everything done, then sure.” I grinned and stood up, taking her hands in mine.

“Listen Abby, that’s not only reason I brought you down here…” I began, feeling her stiffen as she inhaled sharply. “I was uh…” I let out a sigh and shook my head slightly, not sure how to proceed.
“Ok, I guess… I want to do things right by you… and I know it might seem soon but; I was wondering if we could make things official…?” I trailed off, too terrified to look up her.

“Like… be your girlfriend?” She asked softly, surprise evident in her voice. I peeked back at her and nodded, feeling immensely relived when I saw that she was smiling.
She nodded up at me fervently as I dropped her hands, pulling her against me. I kissed her, more urgently than ever before as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

“Aw! Flower’s got a girlfriend!” I froze mid-kiss, pulling my lips away from Abby and snapping my head around.
Almost the whole team was now filing out from around the corner. I stared in disbelief as Max high-five’d Billy, before turning to me.

“Sorry man, it was too perfect to pass up.” I sighed and looked down at Abby who looked back at me, mortified.

“Sorry, I didn’t know-” I whispered down to her before turning back around. “Mario?!” I yelled in astonishment as my boss walked out to stand beside Sidney.

“What? I hate being out of the loop.” He chuckled. “Alright guys, clear out… we got a game to win. You too loverboy.” He nodded at me, “Miss Michaels, I know there’s some paper work I need you to finish but if you’d like, feel free to bring it to the Owner’s box; Marc seems to play better when you’re watching.” He smiled at both of us before heading out the door.

“Oh my God…” she moaned, at the same time I managed to choke out an apology. “It’s fine, it’s not your fault… I just wish - well, I wish that had of been more private.” She sighed, giving me a small smile.
I smiled back; pulling her against me once again.

“When you’re friends with Max, nothing’s private.” I sighed, “I have to get going but… I’ll see you out there hopefully.” She nodded, going up on her tip-toes to give me one last quick kiss.


It’s pretty incredible…
I smiled to myself as I relaxed during the first lull of the game. I never thought I’d be able to open up to someone again; especially not so soon. I didn’t think Aberleigh would ever open up like this either.
She always seemed so guarded, but it felt like she was truly ready to try this - see where we could take it.
I knew she was still unsure of the whole thing, but she was going to give it a shot, and that’s all that I really cared about. Girlfriend… I smiled; before I realized that the Red Wings were coming down at me. Oops, shit!


We won the game, 1-0. I was exhausted afterwards; all but killing myself to stop the puck. I had known Abby was there; and looking up into the box confirmed it. She was busy sorting through paper work, but she had still been there; causing me to push myself to the limit.
I had made some truly incredible saves during the course of the game; and I was therefore in high demand with the press.

I sat in front of the reporters, fielding questions about my performance and my team-mates; whether or not I thought we could snag Stanley again.
My eyes kept roaming away from the cameras, over to where Abby was standing in the corner, smiling at me.
I can’t believe that’s my girlfriend… I smiled to myself. Suddenly Abby gave me a worried look and I turned back to the reporters, “What?”

“I asked, what you’re crediting your great performance too tonight…” The man asked again.

“Umm… just having great people around me.” I smiled back at Aberleigh, seeing her blush under my gaze.
I fielded a few more questions before Sidney took over, allowing me to take my leave.

“So… home?” I asked as we walked down the hallway together. “I mean… my house…” Smooth Marc… real smooth.

Aberleigh started to say something; but was cut off by Max. “Oh no! Out tonight buddy… we’re going to Diesel.” He came up in between us, draping his arms across both of our shoulders. “We’re taking your car too… Hey Geno! Jordan! Let’s go!”
I let out a grunt, a bit annoyed at Max but I couldn’t complain. Abby had a small smile on her face; so I allowed Max to usher us out, towards my SUV.

2 comments:

  1. "… if she wanted Romeo, she was definitely in the wrong place; not that I was planning on telling her that…"

    I don't know what it was about that line, but it made me tear up! I guess it's the honesty, that he wants to do something to show he cares, but he just doesn't know. But that doesn't mean he doesn't like her... oh man. but it really got me.

    And the oops! shit! made me laugh. That's total MAF!! Aha, I loved it. Great update, Zigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update!! MAF is way too cute!!

    ReplyDelete